Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
A bit 'too' classic Sevendust for me. I'm still waiting for Animosity PT. 2 but they're sticking closer to Seasons with a heavier sound.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
These guys are a total clinic on how to write complimentary parts for two guitarists playing rhythms. They rarely just double the rhythm line, it's always some kind of insanely clever and completely not-in-your-face mix of the two melodies that makes the guitar lines work so well.

Seriously talented dudes. Sevendust rules. :metal:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
These guys are a total clinic on how to write complimentary parts for two guitarists playing rhythms. They rarely just double the rhythm line, it's always some kind of insanely clever and completely not-in-your-face mix of the two melodies that makes the guitar lines work so well.

Seriously talented dudes. Sevendust rules. :metal:
:agreed: on all points.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

My only complaint with Sevendust is that they get samey; I really never can listen to more than a handful of songs before they start running together. They always have a great grove, though, and their singer kicks immense amounts of ass.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts

My only complaint with Sevendust is that they get samey; I really never can listen to more than a handful of songs before they start running together. They always have a great grove, though, and their singer kicks immense amounts of ass.
This. I like how they layer parts, too. With some variation they would be truly awesome.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
This. I like how they layer parts, too. With some variation they would be truly awesome.
I think the same thing could be said about any metal band, though. You could say the same thing about Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath if you weren't a fan.

I personally think they have a pretty good deal of variety personally.

A few highlights:

I think they have a ton of variety within each album too. :shrug:

·
Registered
927 Posts
I was really into these guys in my later high school years (31 now) but I guess I just fell off the boat with em when I went through my ultra elitist phase of my early mid 20s lol.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts

As a hardcore SD fan, I agree. Actually just the other night when I listened to the newest track, my girlfriend said how much she loves them but honestly can't tell when one song ends and another starts because they get so similar. Their pinnacle for me was Animosity. I think that's the album they really started to shine as writers, or at least Clint. Without Clint I don't think that band would be anywhere and those two albums without him pretty much prove that. That dude just knows how to write and has an ear for a great melody.

The new tune had some really cool proggier (on a 7D level) elements. I know Clint's been listening to a lot of Periphery lately and has been digging into some of the newer music out there. The rate these guys can play I'd love to see them dive into a more technical side, for sure, while keeping those vocals in line with what they do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts