Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
That riff really makes me wish they had a singer.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Love that riff. Been listening to that album every day since it came out. No singer? You don't like Speed?
I'm not a fan of growlers to begin with, but he's not even a good one. Vocals have always been the afterthought of Soilwork.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
If I remember right, noodles isn't big on the fry screamers.

That said, that's just one of the techniques Bjorn utilizes. While he might do it a lot, I think that guy has put out some amazing vocal tracks that have proven he's not just a screamer. That dude can give pretty much any modern metal singer a run for their money....and the dude pulls it off remarkably well live for someone who seems intent on not giving himself rests or breaks in songs. That was my only complaint about The Ride Majestic, the vocals are OUTSTANDING, but they're non-stop....one line almost always feeds into another.

The chorus in this tune....gadddaaaamnnnn...he's using some fry here and there, but that's mostly straight up belting the shit out of those lyrics.

I need to check out the new album. I haven't been tickled by the first 3 songs they've put out, but will buy it regardless just based off The Ride Majestic.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Vocals have always been the afterthought of Soilwork.
Are we listening to the same Soilwork? :lol: Soilwork is driven by cheesy pop metal vocal melodies. It's like, Theater Kid Disney Channel Soundtrack melodies.

Your statement maybe applies to like, circa 1999 Soilwork, otherwise, no fucking way. They are a vocal driven band.

I dig them, especially The Living Infinite, but at times they are too vocal centric.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Been listening to the new album a ton since the day it came out.

Album cover is very Roger Dean.

Fucking loved "The Living Infinite". The ones since then have all been good, but they are almost too polished for my taste. Routinely high quality, but no spark there IMO.
I'm a huge Soilwork fan. Own every single one of their albums, and The Living Infinite is definitely one of their best. It's definitely the best of the ones they've released within the past 10 years.

But I don't know what Noodles is smoking. Most metal bands are guitar driven, but Soilwork is vocal driven. The only Soilwork albums I think one could say "the vocals are an afterthought" are Steelbath Suicide and The Chainheart Machine, which are good albums for sure, but probably my least favorite in Soilwork's catalogue. And saying "I wish Soilwork had a singer" is like saying "I wish Black Sabbath had a guitarist." Just pure insanity.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
But I don't know what Noodles is smoking. Most metal bands are guitar driven, but Soilwork is vocal driven.
Discounting straight up manufactured pop metal like Amaranthe, I can't think of a band that is more vocal driven off the top of my head.

I wouldn't say he's my favorite singer, but I like his vocals. The only complaint I could see someone having would be that they are too melodic and polished for their tastes, unless they are a hardcore trve death metal guy, in which case maybe his growls aren't dirty enough.

I don't like him as much as classic era guys like David Wayne, but as far as modern metal singers go, he's near the top. He's pretty good at thrash barks. He's not my favorite, and is not like, ultra trve or anything, but I think implying he's a slouch is a bit far.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The only valid complaint I could levy at Soilwork is they are too polished. There's not really any raw, gritty energy. All their stuff sounds ultra perfect. The total package is at times too slick.

Of course that's their niche, it would be weird if they wanted to sound like early Bolt Thrower or something. :lol: It's a taste thing. The Living Infinite and the one after that were both fucking awesome, this is more ultra-polished, ultra slick stuff in the same vein. It's certainly enjoyable, but I would like to hear them branching out a bit.

Haven't paid that close attention, is this the first release after Ride Majestic? That one was quite good and one of the best releases in its year, but I preferred Living Infinite.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I'm not a fan of growlers to begin with, but he's not even a good one. Vocals have always been the afterthought of Soilwork.
Yeah not even close brother :lol:

Maybe he's not your thing, but he's by far my favorite metal vocalist out there currently. Power, aggression, and awesome heavy clean vocals. Listen to the whole song, if you don't like those vocals I don't know what to tell you. On that note, the whole album is amazing. Easily up there with Natural Born Chaos, the Ride Majestic, and The Living Infinite for me.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
I love Bjorn. I think him and Christian Alvestam are the best melodic death metal vocalists out there. Christian is a better growler, though. One thing I really love that Speed has done is the clean vocals on this cover of Survivors Burning Heart. I could surely do without the guy growling, though. Also some tasty Per Nilsson leads.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Yeah, Speed is an AMAZING vocalist, sorry Dave :lol:

As for the original track/riff, I will agree with Dave that it would have been significantly more killer if he'd sung over it rather than screaming.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Are we listening to the same Soilwork? :lol: Soilwork is driven by cheesy pop metal vocal melodies. It's like, Theater Kid Disney Channel Soundtrack melodies.

Your statement maybe applies to like, circa 1999 Soilwork, otherwise, no fucking way. They are a vocal driven band.

I dig them, especially The Living Infinite, but at times they are too vocal centric.
I knew I'd tick off half the damn forum with that one. So, why stop now? :lol:

I stopped giving a shit about Soilwork after A Predator's Portrait. Natural Born Chaos was just okay, and then they become boring as hell. Even then, I threw APP in a few years back and was surprised at how cheesy and dated it sounded. The entire Gothenburg melodeath sound has not aged well for me at all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.