Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My upcoming album Profit and Loss is all about those I've gained and lost, so once I bought zerodc Todd's old Warmoth strat, I knew I had to use it to record a tribute song to him.

It's a mix of power punk and hair metal, which is sort of how I think of Todd musically. All the guitar parts are the Warmoth, and the bass is my Nate Mendel sig P-Bass. Hope you like it!

I was going to have Dave record a solo for it on Todd's '78 LPC, but then he had to go and fuck up his hand on his damned bicycle. :lol:

:zerodc:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Fucking miss that guy:(

:zerodc:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
im gonna take a wild guess and say steve vai is one of your influences
He is definitely hugely influenced by a famous guitarist, but Steve Vai is not the first guy that comes to mind :lol:

Maybe this guy?

Look at Jeff's bridge on that strat :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe this guy?
Yeah, that guy. :lol:

Vai was definitely an influence when I was younger, but not one of my primary ones. Beck's the one who influenced my current approach.

I only started playing in this style about three or four years ago, really. If you listen to my albums before this, there's not much like that. My bar use was more legato like Holdsworth or that crowd.

The idea isn't so much to imitate Beck, per se, but to achieve a more vocal-like phrasing for melody lines. To be able to take simple lines and inject them with some personality. I want to be able to make something non-guitarists could enjoy.

The guitar is a very two-dimensional instrument in many ways, and you have to work really hard to make the phrasing interesting, compared to what comes almost naturally with vocals or horns. I think that's why guitarists have a tendency to muck things up with a zillion notes everywhere, because it's a way to create some spark when the phrasing options for us are more limited.

Beck does a lot of gimmicky stuff that I'm not as interested in. I'm really focused on creating phrasing.

Love those slurred lines!!
Thanks.

Not everything on the album is like that. I also have a modal free-bop tune where I put flats on my Heritage semi-hollow and played with a Jazz III. Neither of which is comfortable for me. My playing on a slow space-jazz song for my older son has a Larry Carlton vibe.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I was gonna say, the last album of yours I have didn't have quite so much Beck on it!

Sounds great though. Just left field enough to keep it interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.