Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Meh. I think they've reached the 15th minute of fame mark for me.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
The constant joke lyrics get a bit old for me, but all their songs are solid. The riffs are great and I really dig the production.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Steel Panther would still be great if they dropped the bullshit comedy act.
They're such a solid group of musicians.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ That. The riffs are badass and I think it would still do well without the shtick, but at the same time I think the comedy is probably a safety blanket to give it timeless context. If it didn't have the humour to begin with, would anybody have listened beyond the first couple of tracks? I doubt it. They were always meant to be a 'mock n roll' band (to coin the phrase) who just happened to be able to do it very well (which was clearly their selling point, since bands like Spinal Tap et al were deliberately terrible musicians as part of the act). Yes it's getting a little tired, but I guess they can't just drop it :shrug:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
^ That. The riffs are badass and I think it would still do well without the shtick, but at the same time I think the comedy is probably a safety blanket to give it timeless context. If it didn't have the humour to begin with, would anybody have listened beyond the first couple of tracks? I doubt it. They were always meant to be a 'mock n roll' band (to coin the phrase) who just happened to be able to do it very well (which was clearly their selling point, since bands like Spinal Tap et al were deliberately terrible musicians as part of the act). Yes it's getting a little tired, but I guess they can't just drop it :shrug:
I think they've got producers stepping in on the albums a bit too much now or something....it seems too polished and the songs/comedy is suffering from it. The new one has some great riffs but the songs just don't grab me like the older ones do. I don't think the mock and roll thing is old for me, I just don't think the jokes are as good. Go back and listen to Asian Hooker or Girl From Oklahoma....I still laugh every time I hear them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts