Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What "Jem" is that? Looks like a RX with the Jem cut.
Custom hardtail Jem modeled after a strat.

I like it. :yesway:

I'd love to see an entire set of him playing stuff like this in a small jazz club type setting.
Being a guitarist in a power trio format is something we want all guitarists to go through, since there's little to no backing you get to hear the instrument in it's full glory. Andy Timmons has shown that it's awesome, and Vai's own Alien Love Secrets is a favorite for some for that reason.

Considering that album feels more like a brief sojourn for Vai nowadays, I agree that it'd be cool for him to do a set with just that kind of intimate setting.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Being a guitarist in a power trio format is something we want all guitarists to go through, since there's little to no backing you get to hear the instrument in it's full glory. Andy Timmons has shown that it's awesome, and Vai's own Alien Love Secrets is a favorite for some for that reason.
Agreed. In that vein, Petrucci live on his G3 tour supporting Suspended Animation shows why that doesn't work when your album has lots of layers. Every time JP would start shredding, the bottom end would disappear because he had no rhythm guitarist. His lead tone being icepick-treble-heavy didn't help things, to the extent that Drew and I literally had to walk out of the stage area to the bar (which was a separate room) to get away from his tone.

As far as this Vai tune, my only sniggle is that it doesn't really sound like a cohesive arrangement the way, for example, a song like Bad Horsie does. This just sounds like Vai noodling over a really simple backing track.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Vai can do no wrong in my book.

His streaming during the quarantine were really great. I didn't watch all the Alien Guitar Secrets streams, but the Under It All's were really excellent and it's rare that you have an artist go that far in depth in regards to spiritually. It was remarkably inclusive and his comments on politics I really found helpful. Lots of funny stories throughout the streams as well.

Agreed. In that vein, Petrucci live on his G3 tour supporting Suspended Animation shows why that doesn't work when your album has lots of layers. Every time JP would start shredding, the bottom end would disappear because he had no rhythm guitarist. His lead tone being icepick-treble-heavy didn't help things, to the extent that Drew and I literally had to walk out of the stage area to the bar (which was a separate room) to get away from his tone.

As far as this Vai tune, my only sniggle is that it doesn't really sound like a cohesive arrangement the way, for example, a song like Bad Horsie does. This just sounds like Vai noodling over a really simple backing track.
Which venue was that? I saw the 2001 G3 tour at the Bank of America Pavillion but that was pre-solo album, IIRR. It was Petrucci, Vai and Satch. Vai threw a bitch-fit onstage when his Sustainer was fucking up during the intro of "Whispering A Prayer", pulled the guitar off his neck and dropped it flat on the stage, volume full up, then walked away like a primadonna.

I came to realize as of late that Petrucci is 3/4's the reason you can barely hear Myung on DT records. I don't think Petrucci is as concerned with getting a guitar tone that works with the bass as much as he is making "chocolate cake" tones.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Vai said he's trying to work on that album that all guitarist want to hear.
He said it would be a straight-up guitar record.

This song is cool nothing mind-blowing besides the technique and doing those wild bends that sound almost "out-of-tune."

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Actually they just sound plain old out of tune but it's Vai so he gets a pass. :lol: They still sound shitty though.
Yeah, some parts of that tune were really cool - I just have hard time with Vai because it feels like he often adds a lot of weird sounding shit in his songs just because he can, not because it contributes to a good song.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Which venue was that? I saw the 2001 G3 tour at the Bank of America Pavillion but that was pre-solo album, IIRR. It was Petrucci, Vai and Satch. Vai threw a bitch-fit onstage when his Sustainer was fucking up during the intro of "Whispering A Prayer", pulled the guitar off his neck and dropped it flat on the stage, volume full up, then walked away like a primadonna.
Quite a bit after that - I saw the '01 tour in NYC with a college buddy, and not only was it phenominal, but Petrucci's tone blew me away on that tour. Between that one and, um, maybe 07 was his nect G3, he went from a Mark IIC+ (or some sort of mark, I never got a look at it) to a Road King, and I don't know what else changed but his tone got a lot deeper for the riffy bis and just ice-pick shrill for the leads, and Chris is not exaggerating - we went out for a beer in the lobby because the walls took the edge off a painfully loud/bright tone.

But thats not a hardtail
Neither is the guitar in the video. If the trem is decked flat to the top with enough sprint tension, though, it's going to behave like one when you bend.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
On topic, Vai is such a nut, and immediately distinctive. I actually dig the tune, and I like his clean tone here more than I do what I've heard from him recently, but I'd love o hear the "chickin pickin" inspired stuff replaced by a soaring distorted solo, I think. That may just be me.

Pretty badass performance, though, with all those compound bends.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

I came to realize as of late that Petrucci is 3/4's the reason you can barely hear Myung on DT records. I don't think Petrucci is as concerned with getting a guitar tone that works with the bass as much as he is making "chocolate cake" tones.
I want to say it was the Orpheum.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Love Steve, but that's just 'eh' to me. I have to wonder who he saw or what he heard to come up with that take on double bends, but there's no doubt 1000 country guys do it better.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But thats not a hardtail
I questioned that too since you don't need calipers to see that the bridge in the photo is a vintage 6 screw trem. But the description on Vai's site says it's a hardtail so I trusted that.

Lo and behold...

From 19:06

I took the tailpiece out and made it a hardtail so the block would be really still.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I watched that last night.

His love of the little things is really endearing to me. I know I'm still a Vai fanboy in a lot of ways, but it's because of that stuff that I'm so drawn to him. It's not even about the playing. He's so fucking wholesome. I actually got hit with a wave of fear/depression for a few minutes when I realized he's 60 years old now. I'm just NOW starting to have the things I've always wanted in life, despite traveling an entirely different road I always thought I'd be on. At 37, there's a lot I want to do and I'm glad I got my health in check to, hopefully, give me some more time on this fucked up rock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.