Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Alder or Ash?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pleasantly Confused
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I just over came my Les Paul gas and now I'm itchin for a strat. I'm set on a maple board, and 3 single setup just not sure which body wood. What do you guys think alder or ash and why? Thanx fellas.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Elysian said:
Ash
/thread
You bet your ash that adam is right

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

What kind of ash?

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Alder, but I am biased because my strats are alder bodied.

I doubt there's going to be much of a difference between the two, and I'd bet that in a blindfold test, people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between two similarly dense samples of each.

Ash varies greatly in weight and density depending on which part of the tree the wood was cut from, which will make a difference.

·
Pleasantly Confused
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I talked to a dude I work with who's a strat nut and so far I'm leaning towards alder.

I'm set on a maple board cuz none of my current axes have one, but I'm taking a trip to Manhattan next month so I'm holding off on any final decisions till I try all the strats I can get my filthy hands on there!:D

thanx for the feedback fellas keep it coming.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Check out the "expensive room" at the Sam Ash at 48th Street. You'll get to play Andersons, Suhrs, and Fender CS instruments (assuming they let you) and you'll be able to get an idea of each.

FWIW, I love both. Ash looks better under transparent finishes though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.