Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ron said a lot of people had been asking him about doing an offset model so he made one this year and called it the California Special:

I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea, I REALLY dig it personally! :yesway: I have that koa SoCal S/S on order but it's been put on hold for financial reasons for a while... almost tempted to see if Ron can do rear-routed controls with no pickguard and have the shape changed to the C/S model. I dig the offset shape a lot! :D

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah he took elements of the Fender Jazzmaster and tweaked it.

I'm not always huge on offset designs (i.e. the standard Jazzmaster shape for example, I like the lower portion of the body but the "horns" just don't look right to my eyes) but I really like this one.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
This reminds me of another high-end Fenderalike builder's offset model. I'm not such a fan of this Thorn version though... it's a little "chubby".

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This reminds me of another high-end Fenderalike builder's offset model. I'm not such a fan of this Thorn version though... it's a little "chubby".
Which builder? I've never really looked into Jazzmaster-style guitars so I'm not familiar with what else is out there in the same vein. :lol:

Only guitar that comes to mind might be Grosh:

But even then, different horns and slightly different bottom shape to the body and again, they're both derivatives of the Jazzmaster body so hard to really lose that completely. :rofl:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Grosh, yeah, that's his name. I think his execution is a little more aesthetically pleasing.

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, like I said the shape might not be for everyone. Personally, I think Grosh focuses more on the parts of the Jazzmaster that I dislike so not really my thing! :rofl: Prefer the look of actual "horns" for the upper part of the guitar than the more "gumby-like" look of the original Jazzmaster desgin. :)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I'm sure it's as killer as everything else he makes, but the shape is just not my thing.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I was expecting this to be another gaudy fugly guitar :lol: but it's actually pretty cool, nice interpretation.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I dig!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts