Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For you crazy kids into RAR RAR DEATH DEATH like The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza does... new 30.2" scale S7 Cobra. This is Josh Travis' new guitar and the beginning of his endorsement deal with S7.

Good God he uses a weird tuning. :lol:

There's some scratchy noise for a little bit but then this guy shreds it nicely. :metal:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
This dude's stuff is affordable and decent, unlike Roter, right?

He has the same video camera problem that I do. All of the treble, none of the mids and bass. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
^from what I've heard, it's very nice stuff, and at a very decent price. However, he also hasn't had a huge volume of business, so if he should get more popular, we'll see what happens.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This dude's stuff is affordable and decent, unlike Roter, right?
Yes.

Some people don't dig this or that about the guitars (in b4 Josh headstock h8 :ugh:) but this is Jim's second job (read... he can pay the bills) and he has a team of dudes (including this guy) that help him out.

I owned his first 27.5" 8-string, gave him some design tips and worked a few things out with him, and sold the guitar only because I really just fucking hate 8-strings and needed a few months with one to learn that fact.

It's surely not a Blackmachine or a Daemoness, but I put the quality level at Jackson USA or higher.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't go that far as Jackson USA quality - they definitely have issues like every start up. :2c:
Of course they do. And Jackson USA (FMIC, not in their glory days) manages to send out guitars with B+ fretjobs, too, which Jim will never do. :2c:

I will say that some time is definitely required to evaluate enduring quality - i.e. no evidence of lower-quality woods being used, non-durable finishes, necks not warping unexpectedly over time, etc.

Also, Chris, as to affordability, I would guesstimate that guitar's price shipped with a case at about $1600-1700.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Danza isn't death metal fruit loop :fawk:

:wub:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Of course they do. And Jackson USA (FMIC, not in their glory days) manages to send out guitars with B+ fretjobs, too, which Jim will never do. :2c:
I've seen too much of what comes out of Strictly 7 guitars to not laugh at that statement. There have been pics of guitars sent to people with massive routes for pickups, floyd rose trems etc and people have just accepted it which I think is unacceptable (to me) at any price range.

Sure you might say, it's the first few that might have escaped but I rather take the supposedly B+ fretjobs with immaculate fit/finish/routing over the A+ fretjob and bathtub routes. :2c:

</Jackson fanboi> :D

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen too much of what comes out of Strictly 7 guitars to not laugh at that statement. There have been pics of guitars sent to people with massive routes for pickups, floyd rose trems etc and people have just accepted it which I think is unacceptable (to me) at any price range.

Sure you might say, it's the first few that might have escaped but I rather take the supposedly B+ fretjobs with immaculate fit/finish/routing over the A+ fretjob and bathtub routes. :2c:

</Jackson fanboi> :D
Picture? I'm not doubting you at all, but my guitar had no such bathtub routes, S7 CNC routes out every pickup from a program, and I never saw a disappointed NGD despite searching through ss.org after we last chatted about this.

Also, I paid $2000 for a Jackson KV2 that had two noticably popped fret ends within 4-6 months. Maybe I got a lame duck and there was something I should have noticed about the guitar if I had been more experienced at the time, but that turned me off and seemed to jive with what some people say about Jackson's quality dip since the buyout (Custom Shop presumably excluded).

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meshypants and I traded some PM's and cleared up an earlier conversation.

This guitar was delivered to a customer - I know for a fact that it's one of the first builts Strictly 7 ever did, but I am very disappoint that he'd even bother sending it out the door with these nasty routes:

Conversely, my guitar looked like this, which is Holloway's incoming build:

Definitely bugs to be worked out, and I've helped Jim with some odd things myself, but I am a little surprised that a few guitars with those nasty routes went into circulation. He's obviously fixed his routing program since then.

I also am waiting for Jim to get into doing a quality drop top, which he will be capable of doing. And to make a couple of other nice body shapes - a lot is too pointy or weird for me.

So, I temper my Jackson USA quality statement somewhat with these findings.

Carry on. :darren:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Could somebody PLEASE teach this guy how to do a drop top so he stops butchering figured wood?

That said I exchanged PMs with him and he seems nice and very enthusiastic about what he does. I've also heard his stuff plays well. However he needs to get some of the rough edges worked out of his stuff :2c: (neck joint, headstock, occasional hideous routes, drop top)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Could somebody PLEASE teach this guy how to do a drop top so he stops butchering figured wood?

That said I exchanged PMs with him and he seems nice and very enthusiastic about what he does. I've also heard his stuff plays well. However he needs to get some of the rough edges worked out of his stuff :2c: (neck joint, headstock, occasional hideous routes, drop top)
You mean...everything except the neck carve? :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol stitchard Simmons

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I am a crazy kid into RAR RAR DEATH DEATH, and that sir, is no RAR RAR DEATH DEATH. :squint:
They aren't a rar rar rar death band, to be honest. :shrug:

This is when they were good:

This is what they are now:

The new guy, as nice as he is, killed the band.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Jim is very enthusiastic, and seems to be about playability and improving his product, which is cool - unlike some, ahem, smaller builders I could mention. His attention to detail is coming along, but is hardly at big-US-builder levels yet.

He looks like he's headed in the right direction, though. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts