Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Huh. Tony Iommi, Roger Glover & Ian Paice doing Trashed from Born Again in 2006.
That was from an album called Gillan's Inn, where Gillan revisited a bunch of his old tracks from all of his various bands, dating back to the '60s.

I thought Jon Lord was retired?
The "Old dude with a keyboard" is retired from Deep Purple but still musically active. Basically, he was sick of DP's endless tours, and he had a backlog of intended projects over the years that he wanted to do. Much of his time in recent years has been spent writing symphonic music and performing with orchestras.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
That was from an album called Gillan's Inn, where Gillan revisited a bunch of his old tracks from all of his various bands, dating back to the '60s.

The "Old dude with a keyboard" is retired from Deep Purple but still musically active. Basically, he was sick of DP's endless tours, and he had a backlog of intended projects over the years that he wanted to do. Much of his time in recent years has been spent writing symphonic music and performing with orchestras.
Yeah I thought he did some projects for the BBC? I love Jon Lord, him and Ken Hensley are that awesome classic hammond sound that I wish was still prevalent in modern music.

I must say I'm not crazy about the post Blackmore Purp. Steve Morse is a fantastic guitar player in his own right, but hes no Blackmore. Do you per chance have the Live in Europe 1993 box set, Chris? The two disc Stuttgart show is one of the best live albums I've ever heard.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I must say I'm not crazy about the post Blackmore Purp. Steve Morse is a fantastic guitar player in his own right, but hes no Blackmore. Do you per chance have the Live in Europe 1993 box set, Chris? The two disc Stuttgart show is one of the best live albums I've ever heard.
I like the Morse-era Deep Purple quite a bit, but they were actually much better with Satriani, who stepped in for a couple tours after Blackmore left. There are only audience recordings with Satch available, but he absolutely blew away what Blackmore had been doing on the '93 European tour. I wish some soundboards with Satch would surface.

I don't have the boxed set, but I have previously owned the Come Hell or High Water 1-cd version that was the original release. It has moments, but Blackmore is generally in mediocre form.

It's actually kind of a funny story. Blackmore had been a total dickhead on the '93 tour and was completely unreliable. When Satch joined, they gave him a tape of the previous tour, and Satch had to ask if the occasional songs without guitar were on purpose, when it was really just Ritchie throwing a tantrum.

They signed Satch for a Japanese tour and booked a whole bunch of rehearsal time to get him up to speed. He was so well prepared that it took only a couple run-throughs to get the entire set ready, so they were able to add some old songs that Ritchie had never been willing to play.

DP asked Satch to join permanently, but he was more interested in continuing his solo career. Morse accepted in his place, and he ended up using Satch's versions of the songs rather than Ritchie's.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I like the Morse-era Deep Purple quite a bit, but they were actually much better with Satriani, who stepped in for a couple tours after Blackmore left. There are only audience recordings with Satch available, but he absolutely blew away what Blackmore had been doing on the '93 European tour. I wish some soundboards with Satch would surface.

I don't have the boxed set, but I have previously owned the Come Hell or High Water 1-cd version that was the original release. It has moments, but Blackmore is generally in mediocre form.

It's actually kind of a funny story. Blackmore had been a total dickhead on the '93 tour and was completely unreliable. When Satch joined, they gave him a tape of the previous tour, and Satch had to ask if the occasional songs without guitar were on purpose, when it was really just Ritchie throwing a tantrum.

They signed Satch for a Japanese tour and booked a whole bunch of rehearsal time to get him up to speed. He was so well prepared that it took only a couple run-throughs to get the entire set ready, so they were able to add some old songs that Ritchie had never been willing to play.

DP asked Satch to join permanently, but he was more interested in continuing his solo career. Morse accepted in his place, and he ended up using Satch's versions of the songs rather than Ritchie's.
The Stuttgart concert is pretty good, one of his last with purp. Did you see the interview they did with Ritchie Blackmore in Guitar Player in 08 or 09? It was some interesting insight into, well mostly his arrogance. One of his main points was that he's always been the kind of guitarist who is only occasionaly brilliant live, and the rest of the time lackluster.

But yeah, total d-bag. There were stories in the box set booklet about what a nightmare the tour was for his bandmates. Which is a shame since The Battle Rages On is a really good record IMO, I thought the house of blue light and slaves and masters were pretty bland, Perfect Strangers is an all time favorite though.

I do like Purpendicular quite a bit, though I wasn't crazy about the releases after that. Quite a big DP fan though, been spinning Burn and The Battle Rages On quite alot lately.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, any guesses on who the bass player is gonna be on this?

Given the bands involved one could always extrapolate to

Geezer
Stever Harris
Roger Glover
Glenn Hughes

Thats pretty much a shortlist of the greats of classic metal bass right there.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Yeah, and there were those two Matrix movies he was in.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
One of his main points was that he's always been the kind of guitarist who is only occasionaly brilliant live, and the rest of the time lackluster.

I do like Purpendicular quite a bit, though I wasn't crazy about the releases after that. Quite a big DP fan though, been spinning Burn and The Battle Rages On quite alot lately.
Ritchie's good whenever he wants to be. Sadly, I missed one of his better performances, here in DC at Jaxx with Rainbow in the mid '90s. I'm reliably told that he was on fire that night. The one time I saw him, with Purple in 1985, he was fantastic, but that show was so incredibly loud that it was hard to tell what anyone was doing.

Have you heard the most recent DP album, Rapture of the Deep? I like it the best of all the Morse-era releases.

As for the bassist on this Iommi/Gillan/Lord track, I suspect they will just use a session bassist, since no one famous has been announced. It's not a real band situation.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Ritchie's good whenever he wants to be. Sadly, I missed one of his better performances, here in DC at Jaxx with Rainbow in the mid '90s. I'm reliably told that he was on fire that night. The one time I saw him, with Purple in 1985, he was fantastic, but that show was so incredibly loud that it was hard to tell what anyone was doing.

Have you heard the most recent DP album, Rapture of the Deep? I like it the best of all the Morse-era releases.

As for the bassist on this Iommi/Gillan/Lord track, I suspect they will just use a session bassist, since no one famous has been announced. It's not a real band situation.
Love Rainbow as well! Everything up till Long Live... mainly. Not so crazy about the stuff after. But yeah, he was pretty much saying the same thing in the article. Alluding to the fact that some nights he's on fire and some nights he mediocre, but he prefers being a "chance" guitarist :lol: Obviously he snuck in several references to belittle other guitarists, but thats just a given for Blackmore :lol:

I like Rapture of the Deep, but I prefer Purpendicular. Love Ted The Mechanic, killer song.

Actually been listening to the stormbringer album quite a bit. Thinking about doing a thrash/speed metal cover of stormbringer, don't think its been done before either.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Love Rainbow as well! Everything up till Long Live... mainly. Not so crazy about the stuff after. But yeah, he was pretty much saying the same thing in the article. Alluding to the fact that some nights he's on fire and some nights he mediocre, but he prefers being a "chance" guitarist :lol: Obviously he snuck in several references to belittle other guitarists, but thats just a given for Blackmore :lol:

I like Rapture of the Deep, but I prefer Purpendicular. Love Ted The Mechanic, killer song.

Actually been listening to the stormbringer album quite a bit. Thinking about doing a thrash/speed metal cover of stormbringer, don't think its been done before either.
Yeah, but I think that's Ritchie making an excuse for having a bad attitude. I understand his point that he can't just shut off his emotions and play like a robot. But he could try being a professional for the people who pay good money to see him play.

The best live version of "Stormbringer" I've heard is a recording of the Come Taste The Band tour with Tommy Bolin on guitar. He butchered most of the Ritchie songs, but he redid the guitar part on that into something much more visceral and exciting, and they performed a storming version that kills the version that Ritchie & Co. performed on the Stormbringer tour.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The best live version of "Stormbringer" I've heard is a recording of the Come Taste The Band tour with Tommy Bolin on guitar. He butchered most of the Ritchie songs, but he redid the guitar part on that into something much more visceral and exciting, and they performed a storming version that kills the version that Ritchie & Co. performed on the Stormbringer tour.
Hmm, can't find that. Link me up Chris!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.