Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm trying to see if this is flaud at all..I remember someone saying before in a thread i made...that i needed to focus on a better amp..so i got more specs down on a guitar, amp, effects that seems more reasonable..and not just outright costly..i think the guitar actually comes with all the specs i want...so it'd only be tweaking hardware..but there it is below...check for flaws..

My current wish list,
GUITAR:
Guitar - PRS SE Torero (flat top/black in color)
Body - Mahogany
Neck - Mahogany, thru neck. (ebony fingerboard w/ no inlay)
pick ups - Sustainiac (neck), EMG-81 (bridge)
Original Floyd Rose Tremelo (black hardware)
Grover Tuners
24-frets (jumbo frets)
5-way selecter switch (if possible)
1 volume knob
Red bindings and logos
Neck Scale/Length 648mm/25.5"
a: Width at Nut 43mm
b: Width Last Fret 56mm
c: Thickness 1st Fret 19mm
d: Thickness 12th Fret 21mm
Radius 400mm

AMP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 100w Tube Amplifier
Mesa Boogie 4x12 slant-straight Guitar Cabinet
Mesa Boogie 2x12 straight Guitar Cabinet

Racks:
Road Runner Deluxe Effects Rack (8 space) (2x)

Rackmounted:
ISP Technologies Decimator ProRack G Noise Reduction System (1 space)
Voodoo Lab GCX Guitar Audio Switcher (1 space)
American DJ PC-100A 8-Switch ON/OFF Power Center (1 space)
Music Accessories Rack Drawer/Sliding Shelf (x8) (1 space)
Middle Atlantic 2-Space Rackmount Drawer (2space)
Peterson VS-R StroboRack Virtual Strobe Tuner (1 space)

Pedals:
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay Guitar Effects Pedal
Seymour Duncan SFX-01 Pickup Booster Effects Pedal
Krank Distortus Maximus Distortion Pedal
Dunlop 95Q Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
Line-6 G30 Wireless Unit

PedalBoard:
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro Foot Controller

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That's a pretty serious list, but i have a couple of questions...

1. Why a 5-way switch on a guitar with a Sustainiac and an EMG-81?

2. Get a proper power conditioner for the rack instead of a silly 8-switch power unit.

3. Have you tried the pickup booster and distortion pedals with a Roadster?

4. Why use a non-programmable digital delay pedal if you're going to have a rack?

5. Have you tried a BOSS Acoustic Simulator pedal?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts

2. Get a proper power conditioner for the rack instead of a silly 8-switch power unit.

4. Why use a non-programmable digital delay pedal if you're going to have a rack?

:agreed:

Having a programmable delay in your rack is great because it allows you to adjust the type of delay, length, feedback, etc. to a particular song without needing a dozen delay pedals and a super complicated switching system.

Have you looked at the Gmajor 2? It has decent effects and also has a relay switch, so you can switch your effects and amp with the push of one button. It is a much cheaper solution than having a super complicated (and expensive) switching system.

No doubt your plan is a killer rig, but it is downright costly. Unless you are going to sell your car, I would look for things to eliminate.

For instance, there usually is no purpose for having two cabs, other than making you look utterly badass. There are some cases where two cabs is useful (i.e. one guitarist, with a cab on each side of the stage. Different cabs mic'ed differently and blended by the FOH engineer)

So I would recommend getting the guitar, the roadster, one cab, a power conditioner, a Gmajor 2, and the Beringer FCB1010 to control your effects and amp.

That there is still about 4 grand too. However, it probably cut the cost of your mentioned rig in half.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If i was you, i would ditch the 4x12 cab, far too big and difficult to move around.

Ditch all the pedals and associated GCX switching, a single rack unit FX processor can handle that (TC G-Major).

I would also ditch the ISP noise gate.. the G-major's noise gate is fine in my opinion, & it also has a great tuner.

So all you need in a rack is a power conditioner and a G-Major in my opinion. and maybe a gcx head unit/pedalboard if you want to switch the mesa via midi.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
That's a pretty extreme wish list, man - I'm 29 and it took me about that long to accumulate my rig (Roadster, 2x12 recto cab, plus a bunch o' guitars), and even then I feel like the Roadster is kind of overkill.

On the cheap, you might want to try a Mesa Nomad. Tonally they're surprisingly similar - the biggest difference is that my preferred lead sound and my preferred rhythm sound on the Roadster are on different channels (3 modern and 4 modern), while on the Nomad they were different modes of the same channel (3 vintage and 3 modern). The Nomad otherwise gets you remarkably close - I don't like the clean as much, but something tells me that's not a huge concern.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I had a 5-way switch on my Ibanez S520EX..and the ..4th position i guess? made the best clean tone i've ever used...so i figured that i'd try and see how that works. Definitely have looked into better power conditions. I haven't tried a pickup booster or pedals with the roadster, it's all justa concept list. and no idea about answer 4. Yes i tried the Boss acoustic simulator at GC ...really liked it. That's why i'm adding it in there. Ideas for a power conditioner, delay, etc?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i already own some of this stuff. Like the cabs. i really think that's about it lol. I just picked the Roadster...honestly.. cuz i seen a few bands use it and i like their sound..i haven't had the chance to go to GC to try out my own stuff. lol. But when i go i plan to try out the mesa roadster and the rectifier...i've been a big fan of Solid State amps though also, cuz you don't have to wait for the tubes to warm up or mess with temperature changes effecting anything..with a solid state everything is dependable ...as far as sound is concerned. Suggestions?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I had a 5-way switch on my Ibanez S520EX..and the ..4th position i guess? made the best clean tone i've ever used...so i figured that i'd try and see how that works. Definitely have looked into better power conditions. I haven't tried a pickup booster or pedals with the roadster, it's all justa concept list. and no idea about answer 4. Yes i tried the Boss acoustic simulator at GC ...really liked it. That's why i'm adding it in there. Ideas for a power conditioner, delay, etc?
I think he is saying that if you have an EMG and a sustinac, that you won't be able to wire it for a 5 way switch, because you may not be able to split coils on the sustinac. I am not totally sure here, but that is what I figured.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Yeah i already own some of this stuff. Like the cabs. i really think that's about it lol. I just picked the Roadster...honestly.. cuz i seen a few bands use it and i like their sound..i haven't had the chance to go to GC to try out my own stuff. lol. But when i go i plan to try out the mesa roadster and the rectifier...i've been a big fan of Solid State amps though also, cuz you don't have to wait for the tubes to warm up or mess with temperature changes effecting anything..with a solid state everything is dependable ...as far as sound is concerned. Suggestions?
If you're debating between "either a Roadster or one of the Rectifiers" or "a solid state amp," then my suggestion is you go out and play a LOT of different amps, because you sound like you have absolutely no clue what you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ooooooh gotcha..that's why i put it on the forum for review lol. So only a 3 way would work with an EMG 81 and sustainiac? Is that even a good idea?? cuz i've never played a sustainiac...just trying to get reviews on it cuz i'm considering it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anddd for the record ..my current set up is:
Ibanez S520EX w/ EMG 81 in bridge and 85 in neck.
Line-6 Spyder 3 head
Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa 2x12 cab

Furman powerboard
Boss Sustainer pedal
ISP Decimater pedal (figure the rackmount is better??)
MXR 10-band EQ

im using the Line-6 distortion w/MXR EQ
sustainer for solos.
Decimater is always on.
have the line 6 FBV foot switch. channel C is distortion, B is distortion w/ delay, A is clean w/ slight flange and reverb, and D is clean w/ delay.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Is that even a good idea?? cuz i've never played a sustainiac...just trying to get reviews on it cuz i'm considering it.
Not to sound like a broken record, but maybe you should try one. How do you know you want one if you've never even played with one before? Would you even use ebow-like infinite sustain in the music you play?

Why the two cabs? I'd sell one, and put the cash towards a better head than the Spider 3.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well that's what i'm going to have to do...try a bunch of amps..i can't do this right away..so i'm trying to plan out which ones i want to try. I know i'll only dig Mesa, Line-6 Marshall..but i've never actually been a fan of Tube amps distortion..they just seem raw to me. Think maybe a Krank Distortion pedal should go fine..

I probably wouldn't use indefinite sustain in any music..cuz after a while it would be annoying.....but the thing is knowing that that note isn't going to fade out until i make it stop..is a good thing.. nothing like getting into a solo or a dive bomb and not having enough sustain and you end up noiseless.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
well that's what i'm going to have to do...try a bunch of amps..i can't do this right away..so i'm trying to plan out which ones i want to try. I know i'll only dig Mesa, Line-6 Marshall..but i've never actually been a fan of Tube amps distortion..they just seem raw to me. Think maybe a Krank Distortion pedal should go fine..

I probably wouldn't use indefinite sustain in any music..cuz after a while it would be annoying.....but the thing is knowing that that note isn't going to fade out until i make it stop..is a good thing.. nothing like getting into a solo or a dive bomb and not having enough sustain and you end up noiseless.
Volume and proper technique will handle that - I don't exactly crank my gain, and I've never had sustain problems.

Then let me ask you another question - what's the point of posting a "wish list" and asking for feedback when you don't know if you'll even like any of the gear because you've never played it? It seems kind of, well, pointless.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Hey, dude? Forget the wish list. Just focus on one thing at a time to change or improve the things that are most annoying you or are most lacking in your rig. Small moves, Ellie.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
You sound like a teenager who has read about *some* nice gear and doesn't have a clue what he wants.

You love solidstate distortion and find tube dirt raw in a bad way? Then I don't think planning out a huge expensive rig is what you need to focus on just yet. I'm not ragging on your tastes at all, I'm just saying you have a lot of experience to gain and learning to do - your tastes will change.

Go out, try gear. How do you know you will only like line 6, mesa and marshall? Did you know Framus, Bogner, Brunetti, Peavey, Soldano, Orange, etc exist?

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, I'd say you've got a really decent guitar and some great cabs, so I'd say upgrade your head, maybe even sell one of the two cabs in the process.

The Decimator rack isn't that different from the pedal except that you get two individually controllable channels (so you can have a gate before your input and one in the effects loop).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts