Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New wood for me at KxK Guitars!

So after a LOT of searching I FINALLY found a slab of Palisander large enough to do a one piece neck. So my DCii-6 in my sig with the flame Koa top will have a Palisander neck. Palisander is supposed to be an almost exact match for Brazilian Rosewood tonally.

The top slab is the Palisander, the bottom piece is something else I bought as an experiment, an unclassified Rosewood species from Panama. Each piece is big enough for roughly two necks :hbang:

I also got this piece a while ago that will be used for a three piece neck for a matching DCii-7

Bonus pic of the Koa that will be the guitar tops (and a couple other things... the Koa slab is HUGE). The tops for the two DCs will be coming from the end of the board in the pic on the left.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nifty! I wonder what that will sound like. Pretty, too.
Limba - similar to mahogany but with more resonance and sweeter mids, also lighter in weight

Koa - bit brighter than mahogany, the top should brighten things slightly but not a ton

Palisander - balanced and clear tone, like Brazilian Rosewood

Cocobolo - rosewood variety that's more durable and harder / smoother than other rosewoods, sweet resonant tone that's similar to ebony but warmer

Roll them together with some sweet PAFish pups and this thing should sing like an angel :D

My sig on here needs updated, it will be Palisander neck with Cocobolo board, but the software keeps auto wrapping it to more than 5 lines and not allowing me to update :lol:

The Panama Rosewood is a guess tonally, I'll probably try it on a guitar with a bolt on neck so I can swap it out for something else if it doesn't work out.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Here's hoping!

I'm thinking of limba body with maple neck for mine when I get around to it. Debating rosewood vs macassar ebony board. I'm afraid of having wood grain patterns that fight with each other.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well limba + maple will be similar to mahogany + maple, so go from there do you want it warmer or brighter. Ebony will make it brighter, rosewood warmer.

I've also considered going with ebony for the board on these, because the inlay I designed is pretty intricate.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks man I'm really excited for this guitar, with the wood combo + the inlay design it is going to be completely insane :yesway:

The back of this may be getting made out of the crazy flamed black limba that was used on the guitar Lee bought

·
HAWKS & FUCK SEC!
1,672 Posts
Congrats again my GAS inducing friend. You are an asshole sometimes! :fawk:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I've seen some awesome cocobolo fretboards, from KxK too I think :lol: I love the stuff with bright orange streaks, it also doesn't look super porous like the shitty rosewood on imports, and it's also stupidly cheap. I think one of my next guitars is going to have a crazy figured cocobolo board if I can find one.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks awesome, is this your 8th KxK?
7th... with 8, 9, and 10 at least planned in my head. I wish I was at good at playing them as I am at buying them :rofl: Working on it though :shrug:

I've seen some awesome cocobolo fretboards, from KxK too I think :lol: I love the stuff with bright orange streaks, it also doesn't look super porous like the shitty rosewood on imports, and it's also stupidly cheap. I think one of my next guitars is going to have a crazy figured cocobolo board if I can find one.
Yeah if you take your time to look there is some seriously hot Cocobolo out there :agreed:

Like the fretboard / headstock overlay on this

1 - 15 of 15 Posts