Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing quite like the Yngster's tasteful blues licks and/or soulful vocal stylings.

Reactions: 1 and Randy

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Me, Drew, Dana, Keithb and a couple other people are going to see the Yngster at a tiny dinner-style club this May. Beers, dinner service and neoclassical shred. I can't wait. :lol:

:zhao:

Tune in the OP sounds like his Spanish Castle Magic cover.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I don't think anyone listens to Yngwie for his soulful, tasteful, understated phrasing. :lol:

This is fun, and I'm stoked as hell to see him in a small club and see just how many Marshalls he can ram onto that stage! :lol:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Me, Drew, Dana, Keithb and a couple other people are going to see the Yngster at a tiny dinner-style club this May. Beers, dinner service and neoclassical shred. I can't wait. :lol:

I can assure you this will be amazing.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Yngwie singing blues while wheelin' around in one of many red ferraris, I dont know why I expected anything else. In other things I have seen him play a more restrained Blues that seemed prety taystfull so I thought maybe this was like that...nope :rofl:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts

I'm really hoping Yngwie doesn't change his, "Fire a pick into the audience every 30 seconds" style just because it's a seated venue with food. :lol:

One of the few acts that is always worth the money to see. Unparalleled showman. His keyboardist was singing last time I saw them, instead of one of the more well known guys who has sang for him, and it's always a crapshoot whether you will actually be able to hear anything other than Yngwie, since 50-60% of those cabs are actually hooked up, instead of all of them but one being dummies, which is what bands like Slayer do, but you always want to see YJM if he's in your area.

The best part is usually where he rips the strings off the guitar with his bare hands. It's usually in between two songs in the same tuning too, and the guitar he switches in is the exact same version of his well known signature model. So there is really no reason for him to do it, other than it looks really cool. It's not even necessarily that easy to rip the strings off one by one on your first go. You definitely have to apply a lot of force and momentum to get it to happen. Hope he is still tossing the guitars to his tech instead of handing it off like a regular person, even in a venue with low ceilings.

My only regret is not buying the $300 Yngwie Cigar Humidor they had at the merch table.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
If they still have the signature YJM cigar humidor in stock you better get in on that.

If it's a run of more intimate/smaller venues and he is doing story teller type stuff in the set, he also better do the classic Yngwie bit about why the 70s strat headstock is better than the more common one in terms of sustain.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
One of the few acts that is always worth the money to see. Unparalleled showman. His keyboardist was singing last time I saw them, instead of one of the more well known guys who has sang for him, and it's always a crapshoot whether you will actually be able to hear anything other than Yngwie, since 50-60% of those cabs are actually hooked up, instead of all of them but one being dummies, which is what bands like Slayer do, but you always want to see YJM if he's in your area.
I once saw Manowar in a club this size, and they brought roughly 300 full stacks with them. And they were all hooked up. Even with earplugs in I had to leave after a handful of songs.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I once saw Manowar in a club this size, and they brought roughly 300 full stacks with them. And they were all hooked up. Even with earplugs in I had to leave after a handful of songs.
Leaving the hall unfortunately reveals that you are not only a wimp, but even worse, a poser as well... Seriously, man! :(

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Leaving the hall unfortunately reveals that you are not only a wimp, but even worse, a poser as well... Seriously, man! :(
Hey man, if Paul Gilbert can wear big headphones and still be cool, I can leave to prevent hearing damage. :lol: It's definitely funnier that it's Manowar though, because they were probably singing about being a poser right as I was leaving.

It was just a huge mess of treble, literally painful to listen to.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Finally got around to listening to the track. Impressions:

-If someone told you guys this was Richie Kotzen, you guys would be wanking all over this thread right now.
-Yngwie rules. No matter what.
-The vocals aren't bad by any means, but it's in that weird uncomfortable zone where you can tell he's emulating someone else's delivery/trying a little too hard. You can hear that a lot in someone who's not a vocalist if you are familiar with their voice, it's clearly an emulation of "traditional blues guy". Not bad by any means, and you probably wouldn't notice it if you heard it on the radio and didn't know who it was, but if you are familiar with him it's obviously an emulation/imitation kind of vocal. :lol: Which is fine on a track or two, wouldn't want to hear it for a full album though. They are trying a bit too hard though to sound, "smoky".
-Organ sounded good.
-Bit too much verb. And I say that as a reverb junkie. Obviously some of it was there to hide the fact he's not really a vocalist, but it was noticeably too much.
-The arrangement rules. At the start you almost think he might go for something tasteful, but then it just gets steadily more unhinged. :lol: Sounds good though. Would rather hear someone do their own thing than some "Ritchie Kotzen does the blues" thing. He sounded like he was going for some uncharacteristic restraint and then just totally abandoned it within the first few measures.
-Rhythm section sounded great. It's obvious from the Rhythm Section he isn't sticking too closely to the idea of "authentic blues". There were loads of arena rock drums there.
-His tone/vibrato sounds great as always.
-The parts at 2:59 and that sort of thing where he was clearly going for RJD's vocal vibrato were a cool tribute. Best of his singing parts. Obviously YJM is hugely influenced by Rainbow, so it's no surprise to hear that, but the RJD esque vibrato combined with his attempt at a "smoky roadhouse blues" voice was a bit weird. I liked the RJD bit better than the soulful blues bit.
-Lyrics were fucking godawful. Like, really really bad. Never do that again Yngwie.
-The cliched rock additions of "HEY EY EY EY" and "YEAHHHHHHH" were cringe worthy bad. Especially the one at the start.
-Wouldn't mind hearing him do more Deep Purple Mark III esque stuff. This was a little too attemped blues, but it wasn't that far off from stuff like Deep Purple's "Burn" period, he could pull off some "Mistreated" type shit for sure. Obviously he's a big Deep Purple fan, so that would be cool to hear.
-Yngwie is still the best in the "instrumental guitar" scene he gets lumped in with guys like Vai and Satch, although most of his stuff has singers. Best by a fucking longshot too. He'll always be cool in my book. In the top 10 guitarists of all time, no doubt about that.

No one would mistake Yngwie's style of blues for "Authentic Delta Blues", but at least it's fun as fuck. I'd rather hear something like this than most of the other "shredder playing the blues" material out there. It's obvious that Yngwie's super distinctive style of extending every run way into a ridiculous spectacle that goes way into the upper registers isn't going to please any traditional blues guys, but I would personally be disappointed if he didn't do that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts