Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, This question is pretty embarrassing to ask but here goes... I've been thinking about buying a 7 string guitar and honestly Im confused as to how to play it... I know, that sounds pretty dumb. As a 6 string player, mostly using drop c and b tuning, it seems like the low B using standard 7 string tuning would force me to change how I play my bar chords, power chords, etc...

Im a self taught guitarist so I literally dont know shit about music theory, or technical terms... I just play whatever sounds cool to me. Lately I've been stepping up my game, working on becoming a better guitarist, and I've made some drastic improvements on my technical ability to play... So now I wanna up the ante some, add another string into the mix.

So... After your all done laughing at me:) Can anyone offer some tips for transitioning from a 6 to a 7 string???

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Drop the low B to A and play in dropped A. I don't do this because I despise drop tunings (most of the time), but lots of people play dropped A.
I dunno. One of the things i liked to do when having an extra string was play Drop D songs, but in standard tuning with the low B. Ie, basing it off the third fret. I did this with Rage Against The Machine's stuff, and a few other bands, too. Its way more interesting and provides a cool challenge.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
It'll just hurt you in the long run.
I don't know if that's necessarily true...

I think as long as you "know" you're drop tuning, you adjust to it.

With a 7 string, they don't really feel much different to me, just give me a few more options as far as arpeggios, some chords, etc. It's really only adding 5 lower notes.

I have quite a few guitars that are in drop tuning, including a few 7's, and as long as you know what you're dealing with (I typically go on mood that I'm playing in) you should be fine.

Go for it. It won't be foreign territory after a few minutes of noodling with it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I actually misread his post - I thought he meant that he drop tuned all the time to make playing chords easier, not that he was concerned that the 7 would be an adjustment. My bad.

I play a shitload of stuff in Drop D, and when I do, I just go for a six 90% of the time. If I'm writing, sometimes I'll move to a 7 just to give me a little extra range when composing (room for more ideas).

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I dunno. One of the things i liked to do when having an extra string was play Drop D songs, but in standard tuning with the low B. Ie, basing it off the third fret. I did this with Rage Against The Machine's stuff, and a few other bands, too. Its way more interesting and provides a cool challenge.
:agreed: When I first got my seven string, I was playing a bunch of drop D based stuff in seven-string standard such as Scars by X Japan, a lot of Rage Against The Machine's stuff, some of Tool's stuff that didn't have him playing the open D while playing around the 14th fret, and so on.

But drop A (AEADGBE), drop D with a low A (ADADGBE), and double dropped D/G (GDADGBE - :lol:) are all options if you want to stick with dropped tunings. I tune my six down to drop D, drop Db, and sometimes my sevens to drop A or drop D, but I usually just do it to mess around (normally my six is in 1 step down and all my sevens are in standard).

Personally I prefer the standard-style. I feel a little constricted in drop tunings.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I used to be all about drop tunings, but it can be a real turn in the path for you, if you're like me, and you just really dive into standard tunings.

I tune down a step on my 7, all strings, but I haven't looked back for years in regards to dropped tunings, and haven't played them even to fuck around with in forever. Just A standard.

So, the same could happen for you, where you say, "Ok, standard makes sense for a 7" and you never look back.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I play in Drop A 100% of the time. As a rhythm player, i find it easier to just keep on using the same A chord formations i'm used to and just barre across the 6th and 7th strings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so basic chord structures stay the same... say in standard tuning, if I was to play a "D" power chord, id do it the same way, just leaving out the low b string... Thats more what Im confused on I guess... Basic structure. I dont really use alot of power chords, but the whole 7 string idea is still foreign to me. Im just gonna buy one and go from there:) I do like the drop tunings because it sounds so much meaner to me. Im just set aback because all I know is six strings.

Since most of what I do is in drop C tuning, how would I tune the seven string then??? To me it feels like I'll have to reinvent the wheel so to speak... So Im confused!

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
OK, so basic chord structures stay the same... say in standard tuning, if I was to play a "D" power chord, id do it the same way, just leaving out the low b string... Thats more what Im confused on I guess... Basic structure. I dont really use alot of power chords, but the whole 7 string idea is still foreign to me. Im just gonna buy one and go from there:) I do like the drop tunings because it sounds so much meaner to me. Im just set aback because all I know is six strings.
Uh, that depends on how you tuned.

E------------------------------------
B------------------------------------
G------------------------------------
D--0--0--1--1-----------------------
A--0--0--1--1-----------------------

(drop D on a six-string playing D power chord and D# power chord) in a standard-tuned 7-string would be:

D------------------------------------
A--5--5--6--6-----------------------
E--5--5--6--6-----------------------
B--3--3--4--4-----------------------

However, if you used the SAME tuning on your six string in drop D, but with a low A instead of a low B, it would be:

A--0--0--1--1-----------------------
A------------------------------------

Since most of what I do is in drop C tuning, how would I tune the seven string then??? To me it feels like I'll have to reinvent the wheel so to speak... So Im confused!
Well, then you have to ask yourself. Why do I want a seven-string? For more range? To go lower?

If you want to use drop C, but add a lower string, you're going to have a REALLY REALLY low tuning on the lowest string. Like F or G and your lowest string will be the same (or close) to what Meshuggah tune to on 8-strings.

If you want to go higher, you could add another high string and have a high G on the top.

Personally, I would recommend just using seven-string standard. Then you have a lowest string that is a half step below C and an overall higher range. If you're familiar with power chords on the G string in drop C, then you should just move those forms to the other strings.

For example:

F---------------5--5--6--6-----------
C--0--0--1--1--5--5--6--6-----------
G--0--0--1--1--3--3--4--4-----------
C--0--0--1--1-----------------------

If you wanted the above exact same notes from drop C in seven-string standard, it would be:

G---------------3--3--4--4-----------
D---------------3--3--4--4----------
A--3--3--4--4--1--1--2--2----------
E--3--3--4--4-----------------------
B--1--1--2--2-----------------------

(I.E. C power chord, C# power chord, Bb power chord, B power chord)

It's up to you how you want to tune, though.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
For example:

F---------------5--5--6--6-----------
C--0--0--1--1--5--5--6--6-----------
G--0--0--1--1--3--3--4--4-----------
C--0--0--1--1-----------------------

If you wanted the above exact same notes from drop C in seven-string standard, it would be:

G---------------3--3--4--4-----------
D---------------3--3--4--4----------
A--3--3--4--4--1--1--2--2----------
E--3--3--4--4----------------------
B--1--1--2--2-----------------------

(I.E. C power chord, C# power chord, Bb power chord, B power chord)

It's up to you how you want to tune, though.
Fixed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts