Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never owned a car before, and no idea how I went from not really considering it to ending up with one, but it's cool so far!

Anyway, found this:

Test drove it.

Bought it.

and am loving it! Needs a bit of work, as the rear number plate falls off and I've had to gaffa tape it on, has some bubbling so needs body work doing in a few places, and the rear spoiler has come unstuck and a few scratches on the front bumper and the rims need tocuhing up with a little paint.... However the engine and chassis are all good, with some nice chap having rebuilt the engine about 10k ago.

Got some nice blingy pedals on order from ebay (found some AC Schnitzer ones dead cheap), need to get a new gear know to replace the manky one in there, and a few other cosmetic fixes in the interior, and also need to figure out why the wing mirrors don't move unless poked with a fat finger.

On the plus side, seems like it was a decent price for one of these, and it's black, and it sounds/drives/handles fucking awesome!

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Goes from never having a car to owning a borderline super car in a matter of days :rofl:

Awesome score. Now you need a nice little 212 that will fit in the boot!

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goes from never having a car to owning a borderline super car in a matter of days :rofl:

Awesome score. Now you need a nice little 212 that will fit in the boot!
Still hoping a 4x12 will fit, otherwise yeah, nice little mesa 2x12 it'll be! Kind of fancy one of the compact ones

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Badass! I had a 2001 330ci for a while, they are such fantastic cars. The trunk is much bigger than people would expect.

Get the rear subframe mounts checked out by a shop. There was a class action settlement here in the States for this, it mainly effected the non-M's, but some M's had it as well.

BMW Sub-frame Class Action Lawsuit | BMW Sub-frame Defect Lawsuit

I would buy another E46 in a heart beat if the subframe mounts check out though. One of my favorite cars I ever owned. I still have the engine and trans from mine.

·
Banned
835 Posts
Nice. Since you're new to car ownership, I hope you expect to be bleeding money. Not just BMWs, any car. :D

To be honest, I'm seeing some red flags with your particular specimen, but I hope it serves you well.

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Badass! I had a 2001 330ci for a while, they are such fantastic cars. The trunk is much bigger than people would expect.

Get the rear subframe mounts checked out by a shop. There was a class action settlement here in the States for this, it mainly effected the non-M's, but some M's had it as well.

BMW Sub-frame Class Action Lawsuit | BMW Sub-frame Defect Lawsuit

I would buy another E46 in a heart beat if the subframe mounts check out though. One of my favorite cars I ever owned. I still have the engine and trans from mine.
Yeah, I had the car checked by a mechanic prior to buying, was one of my conditions, wanted the subframe checked for cracks. All came through, subframe was replaced, engine rebuilt, so all the major nasties seem to be out the way. Anything else, well, fixable, and considering how much I've spent on guitars over the years, having to spend money maintaining a car doesn't seem too bad... I mean, I think because I have always had to rent one, borrow, car clubs etc, that even needing to maintain it will seem ok compared to the hassle of all of that...

Nice. Since you're new to car ownership, I hope you expect to be bleeding money. Not just BMWs, any car. :D

To be honest, I'm seeing some red flags with your particular specimen, but I hope it serves you well.
Well, some good, some bad, cosmetic stuff I can deal with, having a good well maintained engine, subframe, gearbox was the main concern, the rest is just catching up on a little maintenance, well, i hope anyway. I did consider I'd have to spend a bit of money on it :)

Out of curiousity, what red flags would the ones be that you can think of?

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Yeah, I had the car checked by a mechanic prior to buying, was one of my conditions, wanted the subframe checked for cracks. All came through, subframe was replaced, engine rebuilt, so all the major nasties seem to be out the way. Anything else, well, fixable, and considering how much I've spent on guitars over the years, having to spend money maintaining a car doesn't seem too bad... I mean, I think because I have always had to rent one, borrow, car clubs etc, that even needing to maintain it will seem ok compared to the hassle of all of that...
That's great, glad it's in good shape. This is what mine looked like:

That's about 8-10" wide.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Holy crap.... that is bad... that's not a crack, it's a wormhole!
:lol: Yeah, that was the most money I've ever paid for a car, and I only had it for 3 years. Got it in 07, found that in 2010. Basically threw money out the window, as BMW wouldn't fix it. First time I took the car to them they made up some bullshit about "unrepaired accident damage" on a car that had never been in an accident. Second time they told me I was too modified, because I had a set of lowering springs on it. Pulled the engine, trans, and anything else of value from the car and moved on. That engine and trans will be going into my 86 BMW 325e now.

·
Banned
835 Posts
Out of curiousity, what red flags would the ones be that you can think of?
The visual mods + general neglect of the body + the engine rebuild points to a PO that was into cars as an idea, but couldn't quite be a great owner in practice. Engines last between 250K and 350K miles, so either it has high mileage, or preventative maintenance was not that guy's strong suit. FWIW, engine rebuilds are most commonly required by overheating, which is caused by cooling system failures - water pump, hoses, thermostat, etc.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
The visual mods + general neglect of the body + the engine rebuild points to a PO that was into cars as an idea, but couldn't quite be a great owner in practice. Engines last between 250K and 350K miles, so either it has high mileage, or preventative maintenance was not that guy's strong suit. FWIW, engine rebuilds are most commonly required by overheating, which is caused by cooling system failures - water pump, hoses, thermostat, etc.
What visual mods? Looks like a stock M3 to me, about the only thing that stands out is the badge looks to be black and white, not blue, black, and white.

edit: Okay, it's got non-stock mirrors. That's still not much.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm not intimately familiar with the E46 but I don't think those are stock mirrors.

Edit: I wouldn't worry about it James. Cars are cars, and M3s are fantasic cars. Kick the shit out of it, that's its pedigree. :yesway:

·
Banned
835 Posts
Driving a car properly is the best for it. :yesway:

What visual mods? Looks like a stock M3 to me, about the only thing that stands out is the badge looks to be black and white, not blue, black, and white.

edit: Okay, it's got non-stock mirrors. That's still not much.
Re-sprayed kidney beans, ride height does not look quite stock. Wheel color does not look quite stock.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Driving a car properly is the best for it. :yesway:

Re-sprayed kidney beans, ride height does not look quite stock. Wheel color does not look quite stock.
You can get black plastic kidneys, that's hardly a red flag. My stock 330ci with sport suspension was as low as his M3. I really don't think tasteful visual mods are much of a red flag.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I get where he's coming from though. Generally "bolt-on" mods like that (grilles, mirrors, etc) aren't exactly indicative of a hardcore gearhead. They tend to be part of a bigger picture of ricer mods. But since James already had a mech go through the car, and the motor was rebuilt, I'd say he has very little to worry about other than finding a set of stock mirrors. :lol:

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dunno, quite like the black kidney beans! None more black is the way to go. Wonder if I'll get pulled over on suspicion of being a dealer...

It's going to the local garage at the weekend for a quote to fix the niggles, so all should be well, want it serviced too, and acquiring a stereo that doesn't consist of plugging the phone into a tape deck converter tape thing from the 90s

1 - 20 of 48 Posts