Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I saw this for sale I had no idea what model it was but I wanted it. All I knew was it was alder with a maple top and had the pickups replaced with a zebra TZ/AN set.

So I removed the neck when it got here and it's an IRG720, a special order for Ishibashi Music to their specs. I love the special models they order as they always seem to be near perfect.

I mean hell, it's a maple boarded, alder bodied RG with edge trem, matching headstock, natural binding and classic HH layout. Needs the hardware cleaned and given my special corrosion treatment but the neck is clean and all the important stuff works as it should.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
50 bucks says he meant strings!

Saw this on FB last night and wondered what it was. It's very cool. Understated and tidy. Zebra look right at home in it. Is that really maple on the top? I had an RG570-CT, but can't remember what the top on it was. I seem to remember it being listed as something else in the catalogue, and, whatever it was, looked like that.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
Jesus 6 that's a sweet ride as well, your cleaning up man.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
50 bucks says he meant strings!

Saw this on FB last night and wondered what it was. It's very cool. Understated and tidy. Zebra look right at home in it. Is that really maple on the top? I had an RG570-CT, but can't remember what the top on it was. I seem to remember it being listed as something else in the catalogue, and, whatever it was, looked like that.
Haha oops. Yeah, I've got 9 guitars that all need setting up and stringing so I'm waiting for my shipment of strings to arrive.

And yes, it's maple. I was able to track down some info on it through an acquaintance of mine in Japan. The 570CT models also had a maple top and were cool.

I fell in love with this because it was classy. Simple, tasteful and the zebra pickups, natural binding and maple board just appealed to me.

Funny thing was I lost the auction because someone clicked buy it now when I decided to cheap out and bid. Then the seller contacted the company I use to say the buyer pulled out and offered to sell it to me so it was a stroke of luck.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
How much does this sound like a comparable Jackson, if you have any on hand? Just going by the wood specs I'd expect some similarities (maybe not a ton).

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much does this sound like a comparable Jackson, if you have any on hand? Just going by the wood specs I'd expect some similarities (maybe not a ton).
haven't played it yet but I'll bet it's comparable to alder bodied dinkeys I've played in the past. Similar body, bolt neck, trem and maple neck.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Alder bodied RG? Nice!!!
how's it sound got it strung up yet?

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Haha oops. Yeah, I've got 9 guitars that all need setting up and stringing so I'm waiting for my shipment of strings to arrive.

And yes, it's maple. I was able to track down some info on it through an acquaintance of mine in Japan. The 570CT models also had a maple top and were cool.

I fell in love with this because it was classy. Simple, tasteful and the zebra pickups, natural binding and maple board just appealed to me.

Funny thing was I lost the auction because someone clicked buy it now when I decided to cheap out and bid. Then the seller contacted the company I use to say the buyer pulled out and offered to sell it to me so it was a stroke of luck.
Had a quick look through the catalogues. Mine was a 570CT-TB (although the guy in the store swapped the hardware for black on mine. It's listed as having an alder body with a 'Gravure' maple top, which is apparently a printing/etching technique. Don't know what that means in the guitar world, beyond photo flame stuff.

I seem to remember seeing it listed somewhere as having a pao ferro fretboard, which I'm finding people saying on a few Google results, but it's listed as rosewood in the US catalogue, and Bolivian rosewood in the EU one. Anyway, it's likely I just misremembered, confused, and discombobulated some of those details. Along with the fact it doesn't look like the normal maple tops you get (flame and quilt).

In any case, that's really nice. :yesway: You've got a suite of RGs I think are awesome.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a quick look through the catalogues. Mine was a 570CT-TB (although the guy in the store swapped the hardware for black on mine. It's listed as having an alder body with a 'Gravure' maple top, which is apparently a printing/etching technique. Don't know what that means in the guitar world, beyond photo flame stuff.

I seem to remember seeing it listed somewhere as having a pao ferro fretboard, which I'm finding people saying on a few Google results, but it's listed as rosewood in the US catalogue, and Bolivian rosewood in the EU one. Anyway, it's likely I just misremembered, confused, and discombobulated some of those details. Along with the fact it doesn't look like the normal maple tops you get (flame and quilt).

In any case, that's really nice. :yesway: You've got a suite of RGs I think are awesome.
Dude there are so many god damn variants on Ibanez product line it's beyond a joke. I've got catalogues from the same year from 4 different regions and the product lineup is 30% different. Different models and specs across the a range of things. Hell, in the US the 550 was the 550, but in Europe it was the 505. :/

Then there's all the models only Japan or Europe got.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's about as good as the pictures are gonna get for the top. Much like the RG520QS, Ibanez has this terrible fucking habit of putting too dark a finish on their tops with figure.

However, I did get back into the neck pocket and damn; it's not just a maple veneer but a decent slab of the stuff. The flame may be false, but there's enough maple there to give a nice bit of snap to the tone which is all I care about.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Woah! That is an awesome looking axe. Congrats :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts