Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally sold my mid '70s LPC to get one of these in '80, and it was my main guitar until '89 when I foolishly sold it to buy a Jem. Buying the Jem was a great idea, selling the Artist was not - just adding that for clarity. In my personal opinion, these are much, much nicer guitars than the '70s era Les Pauls.

Like my original March of '80 AR-300, this December '79 Artist is a transitional period guitar as Ibanez went from the Model 2619 to the AR-300. It has all of the 2619 specific traits (thinner body, smoother neck heal, Super 80 pickups, neck pickup a little closer to the fretboard) and only the slightly altered headstock inlay that all AR-300s would have, and straight slots in the cloud tailpiece as opposed to the slightly angled (for looks) slots of the 2619.

Body is mahogany with an extremely non-flamed maple top :), 3 piece mahogany neck, ebony board, abalone and mother pearl inlays, bone and brass nut, and the adjustable velve-tune tuners. Pickups have humbucking/parallel/single coil 3 way switches.

Guitar is in amazing shape for a'79, with only 2 dings, one visible on the front in the pic by the end pin, and comes in a very respectable condition original case.

As with the Jem thread, I am working from home so will have more and better pics later, but here's one to start it off.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:goyou:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Those guitars kick ass. A friend of mine in HS had one and I went over to his house just to play it. (Well, and to ogle his sister.) I agree that in general they're better than '70s LPs.

Later I bought a Musician instead of buying one of these. Bad choice on my part. Nice score!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
A guy at college who ran the weekly blues jam played one of these, from about the same era - awesome guitars.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

That looks like a sleeper! Nice score.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Great score! I bet that thing sounds absolutely massive. Congratulations with the surgery too, glad to see you're back. I always loved your Spongebob RG550 from back in the day.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great score! I bet that thing sounds absolutely massive. Congratulations with the surgery too, glad to see you're back. I always loved your Spongebob RG550 from back in the day.
Still have SpongeBob :) Mostly because it's such a basket case no one else would want it lol

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Do those Super 80s have the etched Flying Fingers logo? I know some of the pickups did. That has to be one of the coolest things Ibanez has ever done. I want a tobacco burst Iceman with these pretty bad.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, it has two of the the original Super 80 'Flying Fingers' pickups in it. :)

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, finally some pics of the Artist. Starting with the headstock: you can see here the Velve-Tune tuners are actually adjustable for tension. Not exactly locking tuners, but you can adjust the 'feel' of them as you like. Nifty :)

This is a pic of the binding specifically, though it doesn't appear as yellow here as it actually is. It's pretty damned yellow and looks great to me.

The Super 80 'Flying Fingers' pickups, which are fairly hot. these are hotter than the ones seen in most AR-300s throughout the 80's.

The "BIG Ding", this is the biggest mark on the whole guitar, which is kind of amazing given it is 35 years old.

The mahogany back - no worming, and a solid 9 out of 10. "Built by the proud craftsmen of Ibanez, Japan"

Finally, a full body shot of this beautiful old girl. It was love at first sight, and after a little setup it is playing like a dream.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts