Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After GASing for it for some years, failed used deals (4 in total) I said...ahhhh f*** it ill get her anyway, soooo my personal Santa (me of course) decided it was time to have one since I was a good boy this year :D

I barely touched her yet since I just arrived from abroad yesterday and it was already here waiting for me since Thursday. Feels pretty much like the Charvel SoCal I have.Neck feel is GREAT the Frets are rolled, although not perfect job like the Charvel or even my EVH Standard. Neck Profile seems a mix between the Charvel and the EVH

Humbucker I really like it! In fact the Humbucker has pretty much the same sound as the ones that come on the EVH's (Standard and Special). Has clarity and its not that much High Gain, but I already have a Super Distortion to replace it although now im a bit dubious if I will or place the Black Winter instead.

The Singles could have a bit more punch to them, but they arent bad. Will probably be replaced later on, still dont know with what yet.

Thing I noticed right away is it has less Sustain that my EVH Standard, im assuming its the FR Special on it on which I also already have a Gotoh to replace it :D The TOM Im using on the EVH is also a Gotoh and I noticed an increase in Sustain and Clarity as soon as I replaced it. Tunners could be better to be honest, but since its Locking Nut I wont touch for now.

Playing unplugged the Charvel has more "body and warmth" sound than the SDX

So far im impressed by it, was expecting worse to be honest but like I said, its pretty much a SoCal.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I've only ever played the rosewood one but if the profile is anything like that then it's dam nice and smooth. A little rounder and a little narrower (from E to E) than a Charvel, but just as comfortable. Nice one dude :)

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will try to measure my other guitars and see their distance on the High E to compare, ill post it later. I still need that Block of yours Rocka, its for a Jackson that I totally ruined 2-3 years ago, its now a Stripped Bumblebee and I wont even Spray Lacquer on it. FR is recessed on that one and I already have another Gotoh to go in there :D

The neck seems a tinny bit thinner that the Charvel.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Fuck yeah, I love those guitars! :eddie:

·
Registered
184 Posts
The other guitarist in my band got one the same, and he had the "high E close to the edge" problem. Couldn't fix it so it ended up going back.

Great looking guitar though, I'd actually quite like one myself.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Most string alignment issues can be overcome by simply slacking off the strings, loosening the neck bolts, using the outer strings to eyeball alignment on the last fret, then tightening the bolts again.

If that doesn't help then it's likely a nut issue where they've let it settle too close to one side before drilling the pilot holes.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tks guys :)

Im away passing Christmas with family only be home later on. Ill try to take pics to check the distance with a ruler (want to be Rocka "scientifc" :p) and compare with the others, but yes its has the High E a bit more to the outside than the others.

I know I could had a nicer guitar for the price, like a Panda Charvel but I wanted this one mainly because its a Sig of a Band Member that was a heavy part of my teens and young adult years, and its a band I seem to have discovered once again recently, Im only listening to their after Fear period (except the Blaze years) and it seems almost new band to me that im digging by a lot :)

Next maybe the Murray one, Murray is my Fav Maiden but I dont like Sunburst guitars... but.. who knows in a a year or two :D Although the real Murray Strat was the old modified one and not the new one.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
SUH-weeeet!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Those are beautiful but I'm jonesing for the latest incarnation of the Smith Sig., the SDXQ I believe it's called? The green quilted maple one, although I'd prefer an ebony board. But nice guitars no matter what neck is on them.

Merry Christmas fellow MetalGuitarists!! We're having a White Christmas here in the PNW!!

PROST!!:cheers:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts