Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you guys probably remember, I posted about that box I found about a week ago. And this morning I woke up to this(brought to you by my iPhone):

I've been watching this things for months and I mentioned it to my Dad recently, and he actually bought it! A really cool move considering he forbade me from getting new equipment and guitars. Needless to say he got a big hug and a thank you.

It's amazing what 200 bucks can buy in a local shop nowadays. This thing has a Fan-fucking-tastic neck on it, very Jackson-esque, but with a little more meat on it. It's got three noiseless single coils, which sound pretty damn good clean, I absolutely love the neck position on my 8100s clean channel. The bridge position is harsh and can't keep up with the neck however, but I'll be superstrating it anyway. They are really bright, I actually turned the treble all the way down on my amp for high gain playing. Quite satisfying actually.

For being a guitar from the mid-eighties, this thing is also as mint as it could possibly be, apart from the replacement pickups. There are about three unnoticeable pick scratches, all on the pickguard, and I'm pretty sure I put them there playing it in the shop for the last three or so months every time I went in.

The neck this thing is what drew me in, it's pretty much perfect, and if i could have it reproduced I would. That will probably be a project for a later date I guess.

Mutherfucking Phantom Guitars. According to the internet they were only in business for a couple years before they folded. But the quality I'm seeing in this thing and other specimens on the internet confused me as to why that happened.

And a picture of the whole family, except for the parts caster and the V I haven't got to get started on yet.

Overall, this is a very solid guitar for a very solid price. I'm very happy I got to grab this beauty, since I'll probably never find on in person again for a very long time. The hardware is all top notch, the bridge is actually decent and stays in tune, I just need to tighten it so it will stand up to my picking hand once I put new strings. I also plan to dump the trem a lot, so the tighter the better :noodles:

The all maple neck absolutely kills, and the gloss finish on it is a really nice touch. it's really heavy too. I just tested it and it's noticeably heavier than my Maple-cap and neck Les Paul Custom! It's either a maple body or plywood, but this thing sounds too good to just be plywood, it's very cutting. I'm gona grab straplocks for it so I'll be able to find out when I pull the buttons out I guess.

It's gona get the Eddie treatment as well. I'm keeping the single coils in the middle and neck position, but I' going to put a traditional PAF in the bridge, something vintage style but still tight, probably an SD 59, or if I can find one on Ebay, I'm going to grab an EVH or a Gibson Burstbucker/Burstbucker Pro, because those things sound godly and I want something that will sit well with the middle and neck position but wil still do the humbucking thing. They're all warm pickups, but they have enough bite that it won't be a jarring change when i use the neck for epic warm soloing. :flex:

Overall, this was a damn good holiday for me. She's a blonde, I think I'll call her Kate :pickle:

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My WTB thread I just made is intended to find a bridge humbucker for this one. It's gona be so eighties it hurts.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That thing is pretty much perfect man, that neck is really shiny :)

Id get some better pickups in their though...
Planning on it. The neck pickup is actually really nice. It's fat enough that my settings I use dont sound thin for soloing. I don't find them to be too bad, very quite, I was running this thing with some serios gain and they didn't complain.

The bridge is going to get some sort of PAF humbucker though. At this point its looking like a burstbucker my friend offered me, but everyone can feel free to make their own offer over at
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...ker-pro-evh-bridge-pickup-low-output-paf.html

The nut sucks though, it has the G B and A in a death grip. I tried some behind the nut bends and they didn't change pitch at all.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Planning on it. The neck pickup is actually really nice. It's fat enough that my settings I use dont sound thin for soloing. I don't find them to be too bad, very quite, I was running this thing with some serios gain and they didn't complain.

The bridge is going to get some sort of PAF humbucker though. At this point its looking like a burstbucker my friend offered me, but everyone can feel free to make their own offer over at
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...ker-pro-evh-bridge-pickup-low-output-paf.html

The nut sucks though, it has the G B and A in a death grip. I tried some behind the nut bends and they didn't change pitch at all.
Humbucker? I see 3 single coil pickups.:scratch:

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

EffigyForgotten said:

Humbucker? I see 3 single coil pickups.:scratch:
You can replace single coils with humbuckers with a bit of work. It's been known to happen. :yesway:

·
Registered
575 Posts
EC-1000 in Vintage Black?

That's an awesome score man! You've got a pretty rad dad right there. :D I love the logo on that guitar too, shame they went out of business. And I was surprised that those are actual Fender Noiseless pickups, unbelievable you got that guitar for $200.

·
Registered
119 Posts
how 'bout something like Duncan Hot Rails, JB Jr or DiMarzio Tone Zone, single-coil size?? that might be even cooler

·
Registered
1 Posts
phantom owner

I was able to find one for about 150.00 its a vintage white with maple neck. it sucks that when i received it, a couple of frets have flat spots, 11,12th fret. need some one to re fret it with bigger gauge frets like jumbo dunlops or something. also a little noisy in the pickup area. other than that i have sex with it just about every day. would like to find another one.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was able to find one for about 150.00 its a vintage white with maple neck. it sucks that when i received it, a couple of frets have flat spots, 11,12th fret. need some one to re fret it with bigger gauge frets like jumbo dunlops or something. also a little noisy in the pickup area. other than that i have sex with it just about every day. would like to find another one.
They are indeed great, especially considering how old they all are.

I would go Dimarzio Injector in bridge and neck then whatever else in the middle.

DiMarzio Paul Gilbert Injector pickups demo by Carl Roa - YouTube
Already got myself a Dimarzio PAF pro being put it. Should be bright enough for my setup, which is basically super dark most of the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.