Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's almost a month past its primary completion, but the idea of me actually taking photographs of it might signify something. What this is, I'm not even sure...

Start with the basics:
Might Mite neck acquired from Ebay. Sorta birdseye-ish maple, abalone dots, 12"-16" compound radius ebony fretboard. Being an MM neck, it took a lot of work cleaning up the fret ends. True Bolt-on function. Instead of wood screws, which I've seen as a bad idea going through birdsye, i used brass threaded inserts in the neck and stainless steel machine screws to attach it to the body.
Ash body acquired from Ebay, made by this guy HEAD GUITARS - Custom made basses and guitars. Routed for 2 Humbuckers and a top mount floyd. Totally random find. At the time I purchased it, I noticed he had a few san dimas style tele bodies too. Looks like I might be building one of those for a friend.
Gotoh Floyd (love it, btw)
Tremolno, because i'm not really a lead player, just wanted to build a guitar with a trem.
GFS Welcome to Guitarfetish locking tuners. I was trying to maintain a classic look but still use locking tuner since I wanted to avoid using the locking nut (hate the tone of them).
GFS Classic II Alnico 2 Neck Pickup
SD P-Rails Bridge pickup (3 way wired for, Rail, Humbucker, and P90 modes)
Master volume and tone controls Guitar Electronics CTS 500K Audio Taper Guitar Pot Guitar Parts and Diagrams
3 way pickup toggle

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that would be MinWax White Wash Pickling Stain.
i wanted a finish that would show wear and actually let the grain breathe just a little bit over time. that, and i really dig the grain of ash.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
that would be MinWax White Wash Pickling Stain.
i wanted a finish that would show wear and actually let the grain breathe just a little bit over time. that, and i really dig the grain of ash.
I was thinking about refinishing my incoming esp in white pickling actually.

did you put poly or anything on top of the stain? Did you use any kind of grain sealer on it before applying the stain?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That looks awesome! I love the whole minimalist aesthetic to it. I love the Jaguar/Jazzmaster shape. My bandmate has a silver metalflake Jagmaster, and it's a pretty kick-ass guitar (in need of a good setup).

Kinda like this:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking about refinishing my incoming esp in white pickling actually.

did you put poly or anything on top of the stain? Did you use any kind of grain sealer on it before applying the stain?
No sealer. I did use minwax's stain prep first, which did seem to expand the top surface of the grain just a bit. knocked that down with some 320, then actually brushed the pickling stain on. No poly or topcoat of any kind. Its gonna be a long running experiment. I wanna see what giving that heavy grain the ability to breathe a little bit does tonally over the next few years. It's also a little nod to an old profession (custom cabinetry). I was always amazed at how durable those old finishes were.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks awesome! I love the whole minimalist aesthetic to it. I love the Jaguar/Jazzmaster shape. My bandmate has a silver metalflake Jagmaster, and it's a pretty kick-ass guitar (in need of a good setup).

Kinda like this:

that body shape just says "I want you to beat me. I can take it!" Reminds me of an ex-girlfriend actually.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice one!:)

My brother has an HH Jaguar, and while the neck dimensions and tiny frets aren't my thing, it's a really interesting, versatile instrumennt.

Fender Products: Special Edition Jaguar® HH
I feel ya on the issue of those frets. Which is why i picked a neck with railroad ties for frets. Its also a rounded C shaped neck, which most metal players dont like as much, but since i cut my left thumb up on a tablesaw a number of years ago, the thin necks are actually uncomfortable for me to play on now. so, now i play clones of old man guitars (as Noodles likes to remind me), Teles, Les Pauls, and now the Jag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.