Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I sold the Laney VH-100R head and got this, plus I had a little cash left over! I absolutely love the clean channel and it sounds really great when driven by my TS808 reissue. The distortion channel however is a little different. I've sat and tweaked it for a few hours and it still sounds like there is a wet blanket over the distortion. It can sound like Rush or King Crimson, but I can't get an overly heavy distortion sound.

If you hadn't guessed it, the instrument is a kantele.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You could try swapping some tubes, but yeah, the lead channel isn't overly tight. It's VERY rock'n roll and classic metal, but doesn't do modern metal well.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Play with the ISF control. It can get you closer to "modern."

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could try swapping some tubes, but yeah, the lead channel isn't overly tight. It's VERY rock'n roll and classic metal, but doesn't do modern metal well.
:( I didn't take that into account when I got it. It sounded awesome in the store room where I played it for about an hour. I guess this is my first gear shame.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, have you boosted it? You can get some extra presence and brightness that way, especially by playing with the tone knob on a TS.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yeah, the tone knob is set about 12, 12:30. Where should I try setting it?
Turn the tone up a bit more? The higher it is, the more treble you get. It might be worth adding a little Drive from the TS too. Everyone has different tastes and different gear, so I can't tell you how to set it.

What do you feel like you're missing?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Low end chunk and high-end treble can come from rolling the ISF toward the "American" end of the spectrum (although I think it might be backwards from what is shown on the card that comes with the amp, just experiment with it) and playing with the bass knob on the tone controls (sometimes running it lower might let you get more American with the ISF and get more "resonance" without mudding up.) The top end and presence will be improved by turning down the gain and boosting, and possibly rolling up the tone control on your TS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts