Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having played this kind of model during my old 4ARM days, I've been wanting to grab the hardtail version of the Xiphos since they introduced it. But I never had the chance then. Fast forward a few years, some accumulated patience and my usual pawn store hunting ground getting an XPT700FX recently, and I finally got one.

The guitar was babied with some mods and a lot of care. The previous owner changed the strap placements to where I had in my Xiphos, and added a bone nut, both were massive pluses in my book. Though it was tuned to drop A with towing cables for strings, so in came my mods:

First was to swap the tone knob and toggle switch around. I never liked the toggle placement on these instruments so switcheroo.

Next was the pickups. I like the D'Activators, but I didn't want them here.

Initially I wanted an SD JB/Jazz or EMG 81/85, and I wanted chrome pickups. But the place I get my guitars tech'd just recently stocked Bareknuckles, so after some banter and a few Brexit jokes thrown around and I thought, what the hell. I don't have guitars with BKPs so why not ey? :lol: My first choice was a Rebel Yell set, but they only had the bridge. So I got the other chrome neck they had, a Cold Sweat and went with that. Not my ideal choice, but I'll leave it for now and figure something out later. One thing is the chrome makes the guitar a lot cooler. In dimmer lighting, the finish looks like charcoal grey/black, which makes the chrome stick out nicer. Those above photos don't do the guitar justice.

I lastly wanted to put Gibson style knobs (either Speed or Tophat knobs) to give the guitar a somewhat classic touch, but the guys at the store gave me death stares and completely shut down that thought. :rofl: So the stock knobs remain.

Unfortunately I spent most of today driving about, so I only played this at a late hour through a Vox JS AmpPlug through headphones. :lol: I'll try to find time to fire this up the a real rig tomorrow.

It does feel nice to play a Xiphos again, brought back some nice memories. :)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I love the Rebel Yell in my LP!

Also, I had a Xiphos for a while, but didn't like the way it hung. Maybe it was the strap button?

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
:cheers: gents.

That bridge is an overdone thing of beauty. So big and beefy. Congrats!
I remember a few people not liking this bridge, but I thought it was fine and comfy. I guess those who don't like it are A: not fans of TOMs, or B: don't really play their guitars: they tickle the strings and not really hitting the damn things hard enough.

I love the Rebel Yell in my LP!

Also, I had a Xiphos for a while, but didn't like the way it hung. Maybe it was the strap button?
The older (less pronounced bevel) models (like mine) neck dived severely without changing the rear strap button. I've got mine near parallel to the low E string to keep it at a raised 30 degree angle. Which model did you have?

You buy things other than pedals? :lol:

Sweet fiddle man!
You should see the costs of hookers, blow and slaves on my financial statement. :lol:
And I thought you didn't like this shape?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts