Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked this up a few weeks ago but wanted to give it a proper trial before posting anything, so now is the time.

I recently picked up a used G Major I for £45 off ebay as a trial to use with my cobra as I've been a bit frustrated with it lately particularly when using it with my HD500 in 4cm. It seemed to suck a LOT of tone, and next to my buddy's Mark V I really was starting to want to sell my rig and get something else. But that would mean changing my name on here and I couldnt have that :lol:

As the framus is picky with just about everything, and has an annoying parallel loop I needed something that I could run in the loop in dry Kill mode - which this does. i just use reverbs, delays etc, so dont care that other effects only work in serial.

I got it super cheap as the buttons were hanging off, but I removed the front, glued the tabs to the board, and its as good as new. :cool:

Firstly the downsides - compared to the HD500 this thing is pretty limited with the effects on offer (EDIT the effects are of a higher quality however - a few great effects vs lots of average ones in the pod). Also the way the signal chain is fixed - you can only have one type of delay at a time and its locked in before the reverb, after the compressor etc. with the pod you could have multiple effects in any order you could conceive which is really cool for experimenting. And doing updates over Midi instead of USB feels so archaic nowadays. In fact I dont have a midi to USB that I can use to update this, so I cant put the latest firmware release on which would give me the dry kill feature I bought it for in the friggin first place.

Now the good points - this thing is so clean and transparent in the loop that I can dial the amp back to fully serial and I dont need the dry kill - the effect on my tone is unnoticeable.

Shawn if you ever want some basic effects in the loop of your framus give one of these a try dude :yesway: if you can live with the tone of the mix knob all the way to the right, thats the tone you will get with this thing - I know its not the same as centre mix, but you can get it back there with a touch more volume and gain.

The best part - the 3 band parametric EQ is really cool for shaping, I've copied 3 of the sliders from the mark V which seemed to have the most drastic effect and it works fantastically. its tidied up any flub in the lows, cut the hiss and fizz, and given it slightly Mark like quality in the mids which fits in the mix much better, and my tone is currently the best I've ever had out of this amp(that statement will probably be false in a week or two). I'm real happy I stuck with my rig and didnt chuck it all in now.

Now the Pod has been relegated to midi switching my amp and G Major, and I'll probably look at shifting that for a midi switcher like an FCB1010 and hopefully a little cashback.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aren't you selling the columbus for £150? Most I could get for the pod is about £180-200, for that difference I might as well keep it as a backup to run into a power amp :shrug:

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha thanks Lee, I glued the knobs to the circuit board and it seems pretty stable - it seems the original tabs that come on these are super flimsy, but my way seems to have worked a treat - but I haven't found a way to stop the wheels from coming off yet :scratch:

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Ha thanks Lee, I glued the knobs to the circuit board and it seems pretty stable - it seems the original tabs that come on these are super flimsy, but my way seems to have worked a treat - but I haven't found a way to stop the wheels from coming off yet :scratch:
Whenever I took my rack to shows, when I opened the case, the wheel knobs had come off. Short of gluing them, not sure what else you can do.

PM me your address and I'll pop the spares I have in the post.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I ran a GMajor for years! I liked it so much, when I ditched it, I actually bought its little brother, the GSharp :lol:

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
I always wanted one of these. I had a Digitech TSR-12 about 6-7 years ago, but I didn't use it properly because I didn't have enough instrument cables :lol: I'd get one now but I see an Axe-FX II Mk. II in my future :yesway:

Congrats, dude - that's a crazy deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts