Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No really elaborate picstory today... just a few straight pictures of my new acquisition. Really was a totally impulse buy, as I was gunning to get a Steinberger GU but all the leads I had fell through; then I saw this at the local guitar store, while I had a 10% coupon in my hand. So... I snatched it up:

The thing came REALLY well setup, which is part of what sold me. Minimal fretwear and HUGE frets, to boot. Some would say it's a translucent cobalt blue but it's got a more 'purple' hue about IMO, which is totally fr00tacular with the gold hardware. There was a little bit of oxidation here and there, as well as some tarnishing but I fixed up what I could yesterday evening.

The stock pickups are actually really sweet and I don't mind the at them moment, but it'll probably get a set of Dave Mustain LiveWires like the Ironbird, which it'll be the sister guitar to. The electronics are setup "volume-volume-tone" and the mini switches turn each pickup 'on' and 'off', then the toggle underneath the tone knob works as a coil tap. I like the diversity but it's too much work to keep that way, so I'm probably going to make it "volume - 3-way LP toggle - tone' and then make the tone knob a 'push-pull' for coil tap. As for the mini toggle, I'll probably get some of those little black plugs you use for plugging screw holes in modular furniture.

The bridge looks a little flimsy compared to the OFR on the Ironbird but I set it up with a few extra springs, locked down the nut, ROMPED on the trem and it didn't budge out of tune. Unfortunately I've never had great luck with gold hardware so I'll probably inevitable swap it all out for black (probably and OFR or maybe a Gotoh).

Anyway, thanks for checking this out. :wavey:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
burrittoooo.

that looks awesome, nice find :yesway:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I used to have one of those. Mine was black with purple crackle, gold hardware and reversed headstock. I still miss that guitar. What year is it? Looks class axe era like mine was.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for all the comments, guys. :)

Those frets do look huge haha, love the diamond inlays too.
Yeah, they're friggin' massive. First gutiar I've bought in a while that didn't need a truss rod adjustment and/or recrown. :yesway:

The diamonds are particularly clean on this one, which was another selling point. A lot of the shabbier inlay jobs, you'll see BIG circles of epoxy where they filled the place where the drill bit went in for the corners. This one, there's very little epoxy visible. :

I used to have one of those. Mine was black with purple crackle, gold hardware and reversed headstock. I still miss that guitar. What year is it? Looks class axe era like mine was.
Not sure. If doesn't have any letters before the serial number like the ones from that era. The serial on it just reads "10656" and that's it. We guessed '90 or '91 but I have no clue.

Is that right on the concrete? :lol: Nice score man. :yesway:
Thanks!

Yeah, I always take pictures one the steps outside my house. I'm very careful about how I lay it down, so no scratched yet but putting it on the tips definitely made me nervous this time... but a towel or something would've looked cheesy so I said "fuck it" :lol:

She made it out unscathed. :D

I always like the Warlock shape... Nice score, congratulations :yesway:
Thanks man. I've had limited experience PLAYING Warlocks until now, but I've always loved the design. Surprisingly, the fret access up high is really good. I'm no Rusty Cooley but when I try to be, I notice that LONG stretches up high on most guitars are impeded by the lower horn but the radius on this actually left me enough room where I wasn't hitting the top of my wrist. :metal:

Holy frak that thing is clean!
Thanks, komrad!

Probably one of the cleanest ~20 year old guitars I've picked up. The gold was a little tarnished, the screws on the back were a little boogered, and there was a pickup adjustment screw missing... aside from that, it didn't look it's age at all. The finish looks a lot nicer in person, BTW.

Also, a big kudos to the guitar shop tech for working on this. Came with a fresh setup, new pair of strings and the fretboard freshly oiled. Unfortunately they didn't polish the frets, so that'll be a job for me later. :wavey:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Not sure. If doesn't have any letters before the serial number like the ones from that era. The serial on it just reads "10656" and that's it. We guessed '90 or '91 but I have no clue.
Actually, now that I can see a bigger picture, it is indeed a Class Axe era guitar. They weren't the best talked about BC Rich guitars, but my old NJ warlock (same era) could hold it own.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, now that I can see a bigger picture, it is indeed a Class Axe era guitar. They weren't the best talked about BC Rich guitars, but my old NJ warlock (same era) could hold it own.
While I can't dispute it seems to be a Class Axe era BCR, this line:

The Bolt On guitars serial numbers started with "BC" followed by five digits (BCXXXXX). Between 1989 and 1993 Class Axe took over production of B.C. Rich instruments and also used the "BCXXXXX" numbering scheme as well as "RXXXXXX" for it's imported models. Class Axe did make some USA instruments of very good quality. Once again, the guitar will indicate that it was made in the USA by the "Made In The USA" stamp on the headstock. These will also have a small "TM" next to the script logo.
My serial number is preceded by neither an 'R' or a 'B'. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
nice find! i love warlocks. surprisingly comfy and well balanced guitars to play. i have a US made Class Axe era BCR myself that sounds and plays great.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have any pics of it floating around, by chance? :yum:

Yeah, was really surprised at how well this thing plays. I noticed I'm getting a lot less neck drive with the inline-6 version of the headstock than I was with the versions with the widow headstock that I've tried, which was a plus. :yesway:

Got to log a few more hours on it last night and this morning and I know I sound like a broken record but I can't say enough about the fret access. Just for shits and giggles I was doing an exercise where you do 16-19-24 alternate picked between the E and B strings, which normally bangs my wrist into the lower horn on my RG or LTD (I usually have my thumb in the middle of the neck at this position), but the angle that the lower horn breaks away on this thing just clears my wrist. :yesway:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Nice score :yesway: A 2001 bronze series Warlock was my first "decent" guitar (after a poor Squier Strat), and stayed with me up until 2006 or 2007. Surprisingly it sounded pretty decent. I say surprisingly as the body was plywood :lol: It really ripped with my old X2N in it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts