Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

about a week ago I got a brand-new JP7 (I will make a proper NGD-thread with more pics later). Awesome guitar, just one small issue:
when the guitar arrived, the trem bar was loose in the case and when I opened the case, the bar was halfway lying across the headstock and caused a small dent in the headstock. (see pics)

Me being OCD about my guitars, the tiniest dent will bother me, and this dent really is very small. I know, some of you have read my past threads and will have a laugh...I'm well-known around here for being OCD about my guitars ... :rofl:
Now the store where I bought it from has been more than helpful (excellent customer service) in this and offered me either to have the guitar sent back to EBMM and have the neck replaced, OR if I decide to keep the guitar with the dent I get a $200 discount.

What would you guys do in such a situation? Keep the guitar with the dent and get the $200 discount OR have the neck replaced?

Thanks,
Lars

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
If it were me, I would take it apart, piece by piece, and put each piece down the garbage disposal tonight around 3 AM blasting Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds as loud as possible, wearing a wife beater, jean shorts, and boots.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys! :yesway:

If it were me, I would take it apart, piece by piece, and put each piece down the garbage disposal tonight around 3 AM blasting Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds as loud as possible, wearing a wife beater, jean shorts, and boots.
Dude, believe it or not, that is exactly what I was planning to do last night, but last minute I realized I don't have jeans shorts, so I could not do it. Would not have the same effect with camo-shorts, would it?! :)

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Jesus Christ dude.

First off. Having the neck replaced is a fucking crime against luthiery. You would be spitting in the face of everybody who plays guitar or builds guitars. That is a high grade creation intended for something as beautiful as the creation of music and it's not good enough for you because it doesn't meet your unrealistic standards of guitar glamour?

I would actually feel slimy taking a $200 discount from a shop for something that insignificant. I mean, take it if it's a big chain retailer, sure. Free money, why not? But if it's an independent business I wouldn't pull that on them. That's ridiculous, that is more immaculate looking than 99% of guitars that are sold as new. I can't even see a dent in those pictures. Have you ever actually seen a guitar that's been played?

Most of us put worse "damage" on our guitars in the first week of owning them, like, playing them around the house and shit. I've owned guitars for months without realizing they have deep ass gauges or dents.

You really need to simmer down dude. That guitar is perfect.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Thanks, guys! :yesway:

Dude, believe it or not, that is exactly what I was planning to do last night, but last minute I realized I don't have jeans shorts, so I could not do it. Would not have the same effect with camo-shorts, would it?! :)
Camo shorts will work, but you'll need a long sleeve double breast pocketed denim shirt with pearl buttons. In that case, I'd change the music selection to Suicidal Tendencies and switch the repairing apparatus to a chainsaw.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jesus Christ dude.

First off. Having the neck replaced is a fucking crime against luthiery. You would be spitting in the face of everybody who plays guitar or builds guitars. That is a high grade creation intended for something as beautiful as the creation of music and it's not good enough for you because it doesn't meet your unrealistic standards of guitar glamour?

I would actually feel slimy taking a $200 discount from a shop for something that insignificant. I mean, take it if it's a big chain retailer, sure. Free money, why not? But if it's an independent business I wouldn't pull that on them. That's ridiculous, that is more immaculate looking than 99% of guitars that are sold as new. I can't even see a dent in those pictures. Have you ever actually seen a guitar that's been played?

Most of us put worse "damage" on our guitars in the first week of owning them, like, playing them around the house and shit. I've owned guitars for months without realizing they have deep ass gauges or dents.

dude, you got me crackin' up :rofl: but more about myself, because I fully agree with you :yesway: and I guess I needed to hear what you said :)
It would indeed be a shame to waste a full neck for something this minor.
Like I said I am super-OCD about my guitars, and even though I play them a lot, I am extremely careful not to get any scratches or dents in them, but no matter how careful I am, in the long run it's bound to happen anyway. Usually I am very upset for a couple minutes when it happens, but then I get over it ...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
How does it play/sound?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Has anyone ever said, "look how cool this pristine 1965 tele is"? No! It's always "look at this beat up tele, it's got some serious mojo"

Play that thing, and treat every dent as a scar that tells a story of the guitar being used to make music instead of sitting in its case gathering dust. :james:

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
Jesus Christ dude.

:hesright:

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
I don't think I could live with it the guitar needs to be destroyed.:eek:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Has anyone ever said, "look how cool this pristine 1965 tele is"? No! It's always "look at this beat up tele, it's got some serious mojo"

Play that thing, and treat every dent as a scar that tells a story of the guitar being used to make music instead of sitting in its case gathering djent. :james:
:spock:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I've seen worse damage on brand new guitars straight from the case so to get a $200 rebate is a win.

Otherwise you'll be without a guitar for weeks as it's shipped around and no guarantee it won't be scuffed in some other way when removing the guitar.

Don't be a bitch and take the money and grab the term arm and put a matching dent on the opposite side of the headstock to make it balanced. :lol:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts