Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was a while ago now actually, but yeah.....

Got a decent deal for UK prices considering this:

Gibson Custom 57 Les Paul Custom Ebony Aged - Peach Guitars

This is from '98 and I've changed the pickups to a pair of Sidewynders, a Death Adder (22k) in the bridge and a Hognose (12k) in the neck. It's such a thick neck and great sounding guitar.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it's odd for some reason I like fairly hot pickups but don't typically play music that suits very hot. This one in the bridge doesn't sound like you'd expect, well to my knackered ears at least.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yeah, it's odd for some reason I like fairly hot pickups but don't typically play music that suits very hot. This one in the bridge doesn't sound like you'd expect, well to my knackered ears at least.
Yeah but high output pickups were a key part of that 70s/80s tone as there wasn't a huge variety of cascade gain amps so higher output pickups were necessary to hit the front end hard. Hell, without the Super Distortion and JB in the bridge of Norlin era LP's and chopped strats, we wouldn't have most of the classic tones from blues, to rock to metal.

For me I play metal mostly and have so much gain on tap I don't need a high output pickup, I need an articulate one and low output ones seem to cut it for me.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

lespaulrectoguitarist.org

A black LPC is practically always the right choice. Nice score. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts