Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NGD - Elysian "White Whale" Custom (waited a very long ass fucking time for this day)

First and foremost a big thank you is due to Chris for getting this project back from MIA and for everyone on mg.org that pitched in and helped out when I needed it the most. Means a lot to me that this project finally finished and ended up as a custom guitar instead of just improving a low end Ibanez. My mind is blown at how much Adam's worksmanship and skills have tremendously changed over the course of 9 years ago from when I first met him in Arizona when he was attending Roberto Venn. Adam I can't express my gratitude more than enough you're a really good person and I'm still blown away with the quality work you've done and not to mention the generosity you've shown me, there were times I was ready to shell out more cash to you and you just told me to not worry about it (keep in mind the guitar wasn't completely free guys I did pay for the neck and parts of course but Adam did the refinish for free and I'm blown away at how great it came out.) This is by far one of the highest quality guitars I've ever laid my hands on and it puts a smile on my face every time I play it. So without further delay here are the pics (and the owner's seal of approval ball swirl).

Specs:

Swamp Ash Body
3 Pc Maple/Flame Maple/Maple Neck
Reverse Inline Headstock
Birdseye Maple board
Black Binding on fretboard
Keith Merrow Inlays
Luminlay side dots
25.5" Scale
Monkey Grip
JPM Control Layout
Upper horn modified for better access to upper frets
Assymetrical Neck Profile
Compound Radius 16" - 20"
Hipshot Hardtail Bridge
Hipshot Griplock Tuners
Hipshot O-Ring knob
Generic 3 way Toggle (will be replaced with a Dimarzio 4PDT switch for inner coils on middle position)
2 way mini toggle for inner coils on middle position (will be changed to killswitch once 4PDT switch is installed)
Dimarzio Breed Bridge Pickup (will be replaced with an Elysian Tuned Aperture Pickup)
Dimarzio Chopper Neck Pickup (TBD if I will keep or change it)
Reversed Recessed Output jack
White Wash Finish
Faux Binding on body
Semi-Gloss Clear

Concept of the guitar and reasons for certain features:
Originally I wanted to replace the body of my RG350DX to get rid of the floating trem, Pickguard and to get a more favorite wood of mine. A lot of the features on the guitar are based on various Ibanez guitars that I've wanted over the years. Monkey handle from the JEM series, JPM control layout from the JPM series, Humbucker/Single Coils from the RG565, reverse input jack from various Ibanez models that had them (omg so nice to have too imo). Once I found out the neck pocket was too large I got the idea I'll need a different neck for it so after the body and the 350DX neck disappeared. So once Adam got the guitar I paid him to build a neck first thing we spoke about was the profile and I said I wanted the Asymmetrical profile because when I first met him I tried it and I really enjoyed the feel of the neck then we discussed the radius and based on my experiences and what I like we went with 16" - 20" based on that I like 16" for riffing (experiences from Ibanez) and 20" for lead playing (Based on my experience with the EBMM JPXI). I decided I wanted an inline headstock because I'm more partial to them and always wanted to own a reverse inline headstock just like on the RG565. I chose the Hipshot Hardtail and Griplock Tuners because I've been wanting them for quite sometime and finally have a chance to try them out and very surprised with their quality. I chose the Keith Merrow inlays cause it made sense to me to have the offset dots on the treble side at the 12 - 24 frets and it's much better than the standard center dots I'm quite used to. The pickups were just complete blind trust on the forums, I asked for help most recommended was the Breed and Chopper. The Breed came out Darker sounding than I anticipated and just doesn't really wow me at all was a disappointing experience due to youtube videos sounding fantastic to my ears however the chopper blew my mind I have no word to express how much of a shred monster neck pickup it is. Overall this guitar was nearly a complete shot in the dark on features/parts I've never had and it just blew my mind.

Attachments

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's painted on (Metallic Black I think) Adam calls it Faux binding since he didn't make the body.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
Adams finishes are top shelf but I think his fret work is even above that. So happy for you bro she's a beauty.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
That thing is awesome dude.
Tell us how it feels and sounds?

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That thing is awesome dude.
Tell us how it feels and sounds?
The feel is unique adam used a semi gloss clear coat on the back of the neck so it feels like gloss but your hand slides across it like it's Satin. The Asymmetrical profile of the neck is wonderful I can't get enough of it I chose it cause back in 2006 he let me play one of his guitars with the profile and it was wicked. String spacing is perfect and action is roughly a medium to low height but not too low yet not too high. Sounds is wonderful acoustically very bright, snappy with solid sustain. though somehow the Breed in the bridge is still dark and not that great in this guitar however the chopper in the neck is fantastic and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would since I'm an Air Norton guy.

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Congratulations Daniel! That looks awesome! I'm so happy for you that Adam was able to help you when I was not able.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations Daniel! That looks awesome! I'm so happy for you that Adam was able to help you when I was not able.
Thank you very much Rob, I know you wanted to help me out but in the end all that really matters is that it's done and way beyond my expectations.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
That thing is gorgeous, congrats! Also, excellent choice of finish, very similar to the one on my custom haha.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Yeah I've been doing this finish for many years. It's a pain in the ass but the end result is well worth it.
Ahh right, I thought it was my original idea :'( :lol: And I have no idea about that because I didn't actually do the finish on mine but it seems pretty difficult.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Man. That is properly beautiful. Adam is, indeed, a godsend for helping with all of these fucked up projects :lol:
But this makes me even more confident in my recent down payment on my Espada ;)

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man. That is properly beautiful. Adam is, indeed, a godsend for helping with all of these fucked up projects :lol:
But this makes me even more confident in my recent down payment on my Espada ;)
Adam is a very underrated Luthier but I think it's mainly cause X youtube star/famous musicians are not playing his instruments unfortunately.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
fucken yum. I've been following pics of this on the elysian facebook for quite a while now and its so cool to finally see it finished and back where it belongs :)

As soon as some bigshot youtube star starts using one of Adam's builds his waiting list may go through the roof, so get em while they're hot!

EDIT: sorry if i missed it, whats the wiring? I see a volume pot, 2 switches and 2 pickups. got me curious now!

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
fucken yum. I've been following pics of this on the elysian facebook for quite a while now and its so cool to finally see it finished and back where it belongs :)

As soon as some bigshot youtube star starts using one of Adam's builds his waiting list may go through the roof, so get em while they're hot!

EDIT: sorry if i missed it, whats the wiring? I see a volume pot, 2 switches and 2 pickups. got me curious now!
The mini-switch splits the coils, 3 way is just a standard unit.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The mini-switch splits the coils, 3 way is just a standard unit.
Yep eventually that 3 way will be replaced with a 4 pole double throw 3 way switch that'll do the Inner coils ala Petrucci's signature "tele-like cleans" and I'll probably rewire that mini toggle to be a killswitch or maybe make it my personal world domination mode switch.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts