Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well kinda delayed, the actual NGD was 11 days ago :lol: I've been busy and on holiday since.

Anyway, as some of you might have seen I got tempted into buying an ESP LTD Viper 401FM by my mate who works in a guitar store, and finally picked it up the other day. The 400 series are (I'm told) being discontinued as they're so good they've been stealing sales from the 1000 series. With that and the mates rate discount, let's just say I got a guitar with a £675 tag for probably about what a used one would cost. Oh, and the case came as a freebie too :yesway:

This is a damn fine guitar. Fit and finish is superb, and I mean really superb. The Earvana nut is a nice touch, and my first encounter with one. I've not had a massive amount of play time with this yet, what with being on holiday and all, but it's a nice sounding guitar and the Earvana does make a difference. I'm not sure if the EMG's will stay or not right now, I've not had a chance to run it through my Pod or amp yet. I've not been a fan of the EMG 81 in the past, but I've never had it in a guitar with these specs before and it's been a while since I tried one. I'll give them another chance and see.

Excuse the crappy pics, I was in a rush.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Very nice indeed dude!:yesway:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
So does that mean they are going to be discontinuing the MH417 the Viper-417 and every other 400 model? or just the ones that are better then their 1000's conuterparts? lol

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Missing a string. :spock:

:lol: Nice score dude. I dig the black trans flame, I don't think I've seen a Viper in that finish before.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Very nice, man!

This is a damn fine guitar. Fit and finish is superb, and I mean really superb.
No doubt about that. LTD make damn fine guitars. A lot of people knock them because they're not a "real ESP" but I've never had a single complaint about any one of them I've played.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So does that mean they are going to be discontinuing the MH417 the Viper-417 and every other 400 model? or just the ones that are better then their 1000's conuterparts? lol
No, the 7 strings seem to be staying as there's no 1000 series version. The rest of the 400 series are all now missing from the ESP website.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks gorgeous, James. :yum: How's the balance? I've heard that the Viper series is bad for neck-dive.
Erm, I don't know. I really must buy a guitar strap now I've got some guitars again :lol: All I can say is the body is extremely heavy, so we'll see.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Missing a string. :spock:

:lol: Nice score dude. I dig the black trans flame, I don't think I've seen a Viper in that finish before.
Nah, I was specifically after a 6 this time, I've got to give me borrow strat copy back.

They've had the trans black finish available for years, and it still is on the Viper 300.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No doubt about that. LTD make damn fine guitars. A lot of people knock them because they're not a "real ESP" but I've never had a single complaint about any one of them I've played.
A few of the older models I've owned/played weren't as good (we're talking late 90's/early 00's here), but the newer ones are superb.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Huh, well I think the 300 series are cheaper a bit, and hell the 300 would probably end up being the new 400 series... if that makes sense :lol:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
That looks gorgeous, James. :yum: How's the balance? I've heard that the Viper series is bad for neck-dive.
I played at 200 that I just couldn't play standing up because the neck dive was so bad.

Hopefully the 400 has a heavier body (which you mentioned), and offsets that a bit.

Congrats though! That thing looks pretty sweet!

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
by the way, ESP Still has the ex-401dx and the V-401dx :cool: But most of the other 400's are in fact gone :noplease:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts