Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So, this guitar was originally Lyle's, but, being a good mate and not wanting the hassle of having to pack it up and send it somewhere, he sold it to me for a very good price, so a massive thank-you goes out to him. :wub: I've had her for a while, but I've only just gotten good pictures (courtesy of my flatmate, Jake :wub:). She was in guitarguitar in Edinburgh for just over a week for a fret dress, setup and to have the Bare Knuckle pickups installed. I've got a VHII in the neck and a Rebel Yell in the bridge. Based on first impressions, I'm absolutely mad about the Rebel Yell. It's thick and clear, and fulfils all of my Opeth needs. The VHII is going to take a little bit of getting used to. Clean, it's phenomenal, and gives the Apaches in my Strat a run for their money. Distorted, it retains its brightness and reaction to pick-movements, so I'm going to need to clean up my playing. :lol: At any rate, they're flawlessly constructed, so a big thank-you also goes out to Soop for trading with me. :wub:

Overall, I'm extremely happy. She plays and sounds like a dream, is definitely a looker, and compliments my Strat beautifully. Now I just to get the fucking RG7 put together. :lol:

CIAM

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
hopefully you can steal some of lyle's talent from it, nice score bud!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
That last pic is great :yesway: congrats!

·
Read Only
3 Posts
The VHII neck is a nice pickup, but it's very open, so don't expect it to be nearly as forgiving as a lot of neck pickups can be.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Looks bitchin' :jj:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I really want to try a VHII/VHII set, but damn that's a lot of money :(

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words, dudes. :wub:

NICE

I tried one of those actually but didn't get on very well with it (had a horrible setup)
To be honest, this one wasn't in great shape until I had the tech at guitarguitar do a fret dress. I just couldn't get the action as low as I'd like without some sort of buzz. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but it's as low as can be now.

The VHII neck is a nice pickup, but it's very open, so don't expect it to be nearly as forgiving as a lot of neck pickups can be.
It's hellishly open, and very bright (comparable with the Jazz that was previously in there, I'd say).

Ooh, looks nice with the nickel covers on the pups.

Glad to see it's gone to a home where it'll be used.
Thanks for selling her for such a good price, man. I really couldn't be happier. She's a fantastic player now that that honky piece of shit is gone from the bridge position and the truss rod has been tightened. :metal:

I'd really like to try a VHII bridge too, but the Rebel Yell is fucking amazing.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I have a set one of my Jackson Archtops. The bridge is amazing - brown sound in a pickup! The neck is really nice too, it's not that smooth fluid sound (for which I don't care) so it is really articulate.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I have a set one of my Jackson Archtops. The bridge is amazing - brown sound in a pickup! The neck is really nice too, it's not that smooth fluid sound (for which I don't care) so it is really articulate.
I'm a sucker for that VH-style snarly sound, and I love the single-coily attack-y neck pickups. So yeah, too bad they're $250 a set :(

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I'm a sucker for that VH-style snarly sound, and I love the single-coily attack-y neck pickups. So yeah, too bad they're $250 a set :(
Just wait until you're making that in an hour :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Where the hell is your flat? I've been staring at those pictures for half an hour, trying to figure out why the background was so familiar. :lol:

If you don't want to tell me, that's cool...but please tell me the bus numbers that go past? It's going to seriously nag me now. :lol:

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually love that smoother, darker tone that some neck pickups give you, but I don't think that such a setup is anywhere near as versatile as one that uses a brighter neck pickup. I'll just have to buy an LTD Eclipse and put an Abraxas set in it. What. A. Shame. :lol:

Where the hell is your flat? I've been staring at those pictures for half an hour, trying to figure out why the background was so familiar. :lol:

If you don't want to tell me, that's cool...but please tell me the bus numbers that go past? It's going to seriously nag me now. :lol:
:lol:

Well, we see a lot of 30s going out to Musselburgh go past. In fact, they turn left just below the window that you see in the pictures. We also see a fair amount of buses going out to Penicuik, Rosewell and other such places. If you really can't work it out, I'll post a google maps link. :D

EDIT: And I forgot to mention to you guys just how phenomenal the middle position sounds (it's a three way switch). When I went to pick the guitar up from the shop, the tech said that the middle position sounded almost like a telecaster, and he wasn't wrong. It's amazing. <3

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I actually love that smoother, darker tone that some neck pickups give you, but I don't think that such a setup is anywhere near as versatile as one that uses a brighter neck pickup. I'll just have to buy an LTD Eclipse and put an Abraxas set in it. What. A. Shame. :lol:

:lol:

Well, we see a lot of 30s going out to Musselburgh go past. In fact, they turn left just below the window that you see in the pictures. We also see a fair amount of buses going out to Penicuik, Rosewell and other such places. If you really can't work it out, I'll post a google maps link. :D

EDIT: And I forgot to mention to you guys just how phenomenal the middle position sounds (it's a three way switch). When I went to pick the guitar up from the shop, the tech said that the middle position sounded almost like a telecaster, and he wasn't wrong. It's amazing. <3
You should've kept the 5 way in - even more versatile, especially for clean tones...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts