Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been a massive fan of Helmet's Page Hamilton since they debuted nearly 20 years ago. More importantly, I've lusted over his '87 ESP Horizon custom that's been his main guitar since the beginning. When ESP/LTD decided to finally release it as a signature, I had to have it. While I can't justify the price of the ESP, the LTD series looked great, had simple shredder features & was right up my alley. Plus that color, oh that fr00ty goodness. MAGENTA!!! I love it! :yesway:

I know some bitch about the distressed finish. But while I initially preferred that it wasn't "distressed", the finish is pretty damn cool in person. It lends a certain worn-in, old-school charm that I'm really beginning to dig a lot.

The neck is super comfortable & the action is STUPIDLY low thanks to Drumcityguitarland's awesome setup they did for me. No dead spots. No buzz. Simply awesome. Anyway, on with the specs & pics so I can go off here & go get my Helmet on....

:metal:

The Specs:
■Neck-Thru-Body Construction
■25.5" Scale
■Alder Body
■Maple Neck
■Ebony Fingerboard
■42mm Locking Nut
■Thin U Neck Contour
■24 XJ Frets
■Black Nickel Hardware
■Grover Tuners
■Floyd Rose 1000 Series Bridge
■Dimarzio Air Zone p.u.
■Finish: Distressed Magenta

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's clean. Almost more like an exacto knife was used. And the wood is clear coated too, which did surprise me. Strange, but it add a unique vibe to the instrument. I didn't want to like the distressed portion, but I do now & the magenta is just wicked in person.

Been playing it nonstop for the last few hours & the feel is just beyond comfortable. And the Airzone pickup through my AxeFx nails the Helmet tone. I'm using the Recto Orange amp model mainly for this.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
The relic-ing on the LTD seems to be a lot less detailed than the ESP version. There's a whole bunch of repaired body cracks, finish checking, relic-ed headstock, relocated output jack, etc. that doesn't seem to be on this. But just throw it down a few fights of stairs and it'll be close enough. :lol:

Nice score. :yesway: Is the Floyd on this also blocked for dive-only?

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
:lol: I think if someone took a photo of Seb playing a Page Hamilton. The earth would stop on it's axis and we'd all be transported back to '91

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ :lol:

The relic-ing on the LTD seems to be a lot less detailed than the ESP version. There's a whole bunch of repaired body cracks, finish checking, relic-ed headstock, relocated output jack, etc. that doesn't seem to be on this. But just throw it down a few fights of stairs and it'll be close enough. :lol:

Nice score. :yesway: Is the Floyd on this also blocked for dive-only?
Since it's a production model, I didn't expect the relicing to be as extreme as the ESP version. But then again, I'm glad it's not. I like the overall "funkiness" of the LTD version. I'll keep her as it as it's reliced enough for me. :)

And the Floyd is full floating on this one. However, I'll probably block it for divebomb only & drop a D-Tuna on there.

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Nice score, dude. Kinda reminds me of one of those toys in Sid's room from the first Toy Story (like the trem spring where a pickup should be, etc).

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
What's the difference in specs between this and the ESP version?
I'm guessing it's just build quality and attention to detail. This LTD appears to have pretty much everything you'd see on an actual vintage Horizon. In fact, this is one of the few LTD signature models that doesn't look cheapshit next to the ESP version. Usually, the paintjobs and inlays on the LTDs suck compared to the ESPs, but I'm not sure anyone would be able to tell the difference if you put an ESP logo on this one.

I've always liked the way the old Horizons looked and have consider picking one up whenever they show up on eBay. Did Page's actual guitar have the Jackson imitation headstock or the later version that your guitar does?

One small missing detail: Actual early Horizons usually had "block" side markers rather than dots, though I don't know what Page's guitar has. My '80s Mirage Custom neckthru, however, has the dots, so I think it was only on the Horizons.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Yeah, it's clean. Almost more like an exacto knife was used. And the wood is clear coated too, which did surprise me. Strange, but it add a unique vibe to the instrument. I didn't want to like the distressed portion, but I do now & the magenta is just wicked in person.

Been playing it nonstop for the last few hours & the feel is just beyond comfortable. And the Airzone pickup through my AxeFx nails the Helmet tone. I'm using the Recto Orange amp model mainly for this.
Clips! :pray:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts