Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up my Esp LTD ST-203FR today. I am very pleased with this :agreed: I figured it would be in dire need of a setup but to my surprise out of the box it was setup very very well. I lowered the action a bit but the floyd was spot on and the neck had just enough relief in it. Apparently these get checked out by someone @ ESP in California before they get shipped out.

The neck is to die for. It is a bit similar to a Wizard II but it doesn't have the flat spot that the wizard has. The neck looks like it is about a gazillion years old (reliced....) The fretwork was great - no uneven frets and the ends were all dressed neatly and uniformly.

After seeing it in person the relicing looks pretty natural - Im still going to strip and refinish it at some point tho...

Tuners are decent - much better than low end Ibby ones actually. The floyd is great. The guitar has really good sustain. It is fairly heavy as well.

Electronics are ok - they stock pups dont sound horrible at all really. The humbucker is medium output and has decent mids and good clarity. The bass is pretty decent on it as well. The single coils are ok - a bit neutral really but they have really good sustain and clarity. Output isnt bad at all on them really.

I like the carved down neck plate - it gives surprisingly good upper fret access.

My Negatives: I don't like the volume pot placement (it is where the middle tone pot usually is) and the 5 way switch is ridiculously high. Neither of those are deal breakers tho :D The pots feel a bit cheap but those can be easily swapped out so its no big deal....

for $340 it totally kicks the shit out of the MIM strats and I actually prefer it to the American Standards. (flat neck + big fretwire = WIN)

I played the SSS version and he said I could have it for $280 SO it looks like there will be another NGD for me soon :lol: It played fantastic and sounded really good amped up,

Well without further ado some fast pics. I will take some better ones outside ASAP.

I got the Cliplock strap for free to boot (BONUS!)

shaving a chunk off of the heel did wonders for upper fret access

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Nice score.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
That kind of reminds me of the "Hentor Sportscaster" parts-Strat that Alex Lifeson used in the 80's. It's got the exact vol/tone pot placement.

Cool gtr. Congrats! :yesway:

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Can't believe the price tag on those... Gotta go and try one!

Nice score! :yesway:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1b/40.2.005; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Nice! What color are going you do the refinish in?
Probably white pickling (its a trans finish) I may go with a trans rust/red and throw one of these on it it tho

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah, thanks for reminding me that i no longer own a guitar with a maple fretboard.

great looking guitar.

my vote is for the white wash pickling stain. you could actually get some dye and tint that stain as well. i believe you could take a color sample into a home depot and they would add the tint for you. that's where i find the stain as well.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, thanks for reminding me that i no longer own a guitar with a maple fretboard.

great looking guitar.

my vote is for the white wash pickling stain. you could actually get some dye and tint that stain as well. i believe you could take a color sample into a home depot and they would add the tint for you. that's where i find the stain as well.
I started looking into the white pickling when i was considering rebuilding my old ESP parts-o-caster. I really like the way it looks :agreed:

Opulence. You has it!
I has Low Budget Opulence :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
go with the pickling stain and the rust pickguard dude

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
That looks like Doug Aldrich's black Strat.

You should throw a zebra humbucker in that. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts