Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old wrinkled balls
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the strat I've been fawning over. I got it from a co-worker and got a hell of a deal.

Pros: Terrific resonance, neck is smooth as silk, love that big honkin' headstock, very well balanced.

Cons: Stock PU's suck. Not caring for the placement of the volume knob with the 'bucker in the bridge.

Pretty sure I'm going to get a replacement pickguard, go H-S, and go 2-knob with a 3-way toggle. Other than that and some straplocks, I'm gonna' keep it the same.

For the new pickguard, I'm thinking I may have a custom-job made with a maple veneer to match the heastock. Something to distinguish it from the rest.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Congrats man, fat strats are awesome.

I'm debating getting a second H/S guard for mine as well, one volume knob in the tone spot and away we go. :yesway:

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
Congrats!

Have you checked Warmoth for a new pickguard? Not sure if they have what you want. I did something similar - took a regular Strat & changed it to a hum-single w/ a pearloid pickguard (I need to take pictures sometime & post them). Got my pickguard from Warmoth for ~$28 I think.

·
Black Metal Bunny
1,144 Posts
That's a big headstock! I have seen some Strats with that big one and others with a smaller version. Is that just a style difference?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That's known as the "CBS era" Strat headstock. I personally can't stand it, but some people really like it.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Fap.

Now be a good boy and put a non recessed floyd and a JB on it.

·
Old wrinkled balls
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as a pickguard, I think I'm going to go with a flame maple veneer version that B. Hefner makes (photo below), but in an H-S config, to match the headstock.

I think I'm gonna' stick with the stock trem for now and install some tone blocks, but a non-recessed floyd does sound tempting down the road when I get unhappy with it.

Still on the fence with pickup choice, though.

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
How much of a pain is it to replace the 6-screw trem with a Floyd? I have the same - a 6-screw - and asked the local shop (where I bought it from) about the conversion. The owner said the overall cost would be too much - would be better to just buy a Strat with a Floyd in it already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts