Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been hankering to do a Strat build for a while and this popped up for sale for dirt cheap so no better time than now I guess.

It had obviously been sitting around for a while, the action was a mile high, and the saddle was starting to corrod. But other than that it's was in pretty good shape. I already replaced the saddle with some string saver blocks, and gave it a good cleaning, fret polishing and set up. And holy frigg this thing can play. I've never had a guitar that I was able to get the action this low without some sort of fret buzz. I currently have the bridge floating and it actually holds it tune fairly well when using the trem. Not so much if your dive bombing and squeeling.
Anyway, my plan was to block the trem, and set it to drop C and do a 1 humbucker 1 volume. But it sounds so good clean that would be a waste, so now I'm thinking of doing a HS.
I've got a Dimarzio crunch lab that's been waiting to go into a guitar. Now I need to find a single coil that would work well with it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, I got it specifically to play 80's metal.

I'm waiting on some black volume knobs to come in the mail. I had to order 6 just to get just 2 volumes. Anybody need 4 tone knobs? Lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Excellent choice with the all black plastic shit :) and volume knob placement :yesway:

Nice!!!
Thank you. Yeah, the stock volume location has never work for me, it was way to close to where I strum.

That looks great! Black hardware would also make it look super metal.
All in good time

How is the Chopper on the neck? Like a normal Humbucker or more "singlecoilish"?
To me it sounds like a combination of a single coil and a SD 59. It's actually a pretty dam hot pickup, which is why I chose it. I also wired it for coil tap, and it dose split quite nicely. It's not as bright as the stock pickup, but still has that single coil sound.

Looks great!

How's it wired? You tried the Chopper in Parallel instead of series?
To be honest, I have no idea. I couldn't find a diagram for what I was going for and I just kind of winged it.
I have it wired
Pos 1: bridge
2: bridge & neck
3: Neck
4: neck coil split
And I tried to wire it so each pickup had its own volume, but somewhere I took a wrong turn because as it is now both volumes have control over both pickups whether that pickup is selected or not.
Maybe you can see something I'm not?

Congrats :yesway: good strats are a good time.
I concur. I had bought another used MIM HSS a few years ago that I was planning to mod, but I think that was a lemon. I thought the Squire I learned on in the 90's was a better made instrument. So I sold it not much longer after I bought it.
I'm glad I gave them another shot, because holy fuck, I had no idea how sweet a good one plays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.