Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, years ago, I stumbled across Chris Forshage's work on the "Building the Ergonomic Guitar" blog. I really dug the shape, and wanted one.

When I got my first-ever holiday bonus, I wanted to do something special with it. I had been following Forshage's work for a while, and decided to contact him about an order.

Eighteen months later, this showed up in a surprisingly small box:

Specs:

-24.75" scale
-Hollow Mahogany body
-Flame Maple cap
-Set flame maple neck with flame maple board and "accent line" binding
-Jumbo stainless frets
-Satin nitro finish
-Luminlays
-ABM headless system
-Tune-O-Matic bridge
-Bareknuckle Mississippi Queen neck and VHII bridge
-Volume/Tone/Bass Roll-off controls
-Coil tap for bridge pickup
-Flame maple knobs (for extra tone!)
-Custom-fit little gigbag that resembles a tennis racket case

The attention to detail is excellent. Everything is cleanly cut, masked, and dealt with. Fretwork is great. Finish work is great.

Really, though, it sounds *awesome.* With the two very different pickups and bass roll-off knob, I get a huge range of sounds, from almost Stratty cluck to huge fat Leslie West roar to single-pickup '80s rock. It's got a fast but slightly rounder attack than you get with a solidbody, and getting controllable feedback is super easy and a shitload of fun.

Also, it plays great. Spent four and a half hours jamming yesterday and no arm/hand fatigue. The lack of a forearm contour takes some getting used to, but it feels great standing and (especially) seated and weighs very little.

The shape isn't for everyone, but i dig it. Looking forward to getting some real playing time on this one.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Whoa. I honestly think that looks slick as hell, and comfortable too. Damn nice looking guitar, and that is a crazy flamed maple neck.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
You are clearly a man of refined tastes, sir. That is a flat out awesome guitar.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Awesome :) Love the neck, the Luminlay side dots, the whole shebang :) Now play those jumbo stainless frets right off her!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
You're right, I don't like it. However, I like that YOU like it and it feels and sound exactly how you want it so by that logic I do like it.

Loving the flame maple binding on the neck.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Not sure how I feel about the shape (although I bet it's really comfy) but the woods on that are extraordinary and it looks like a very well made instrument. Congrats!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
You're right, I don't like it. However, I like that YOU like it and it feels and sound exactly how you want it so by that logic I do like it.

Loving the flame maple binding on the neck.
Me too. I don't care for the shape at all, but it's clear the quality is fantastic, and it's exactly what you want, so that's what matters.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
So, let me get this straight. You buy a custom guitar, and in the NGD you don't spam your Progressive band's rough mix demo of that guitar through your axefx and ProTone bulb deluxe? Why even buy a custom, then? :scratch: :D

Looks amazing man. Almost has a Carvin Holdsworth vibe to me, and man, does that satin look awesome. I'd love to hear that thing do some clean, chimey stuffs.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Congrats on your first (?) Lawyer pay acquisition!

I too feel it looks a lot like a Teuffel, but I also don't care that they share the resemblance :lol:. I love flame maple and blue finishes, so this gets a pass. I too would be curious to hear clips.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts