Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing, pics are coming tonight.

I've been looking for a cheap strat to use as a platform to modify (thanks to Drew and Chris for only adding to my strat GAS). I was browsing Guitar Center's website and noticed my local one had a couple used mexican strats, so I stopped over after work on Tuesday and played them back to back with some new mexican strats off the wall. I went to grab another one off the wall and realized it didn't have a normal fender headstock on it, but was the G&L headstock instead. Pulled it off the wall, and it played better in my hands than any of the mexican strats, used or new. Black body, white pearl pickguard, maple fingerboard.

Now, being newer to strats, I want to get some pickups in the guitar that are a bit hotter than what is currently in it (I believe they are stock MFDs, which are relatively hot but I could use something a tad hotter in the bridge and neck). Anyone have any suggestions? I'm leaning towards maybe either a Hot Rails or a JB Jr in the bridge, though I'd be up for any Dimarzio recommendations too.

Reactions: Randy

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
The Hot Rails sounds good in the bridge of my G&L, but it's a pretty hot pickup by any standard, single or double coil. It sounds almost entirely like a humbucker to me. You could go with a Quarter Pounder if you want to keep it with single coils.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
The jb jr set is awesome, but not that stratty. Ive got a pickguard wired with a JB jr and a pair of texas specials sitting here waiting for my strat to get out of layaway. If you want real single tone in the neck/mid but hotter, texas specials are ace

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking for something definitely on the hotter side, and wouldn't mind some humbucker goodness if the pickup will still retain some semblance of a strat like tone, if that makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
You definitely don't want a Hot Rails, then. Quarter Pounders sound like the thing for you, unless you want to go the boutique route, as Noodles advises.

Let me put it this way. I have a Quarter Pounder in the middle position of my Soloist Pro, and *screwed all the way down to the body* it has as much volume as the Lil '59er in the neck position does at normal height. I'm pretty sure it's hot enough for your needs, and it's a true single-coil pickup.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
i wish wolfe would just make 7 string pups! hurry with those pics, me love g&l's
He told me that the parts are too expensive, since he's not buying them in bulk. It's easier for him to just do rewinds.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
He told me that the parts are too expensive, since he's not buying them in bulk. It's easier for him to just do rewinds.
Update: He found a supplier, but the guy is bad about returning voicemails. Seven pickups are in the works, though!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
+1 for the Quarter Pounders. Sound great in my ash Mirage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.