Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up a few weeks ago from jacksonplayer. I'd been lusting after it since he brought it over a few months ago, and he was thinning the heard after buying an SG and a Les Paul back to back.

This one has the same 60s neck as my Studio, which is in between the 60s slim taper and the beefier 50s neck. I've always found it a really comfortable shape (ESP's profile is very close), and has some fairly beefy frets that are as tall, but not quite as wide, as 6100s. This may actually be my best playing Les Paul; I could get the action lower if I wanted and go for a total shred setup, but I'm just gonna bash the shit out of it in the cover band.

I've wasted no time ditching the stock tuners and pickups. The tuners were just the imprecise, touchy mess that I expect from Kulsons, and while the neck pickup was pretty good, the bridge pickup was terrible. Gotoh SD-90 Magnum Locks have been my go to tuners for the Kluson footprint, because Gotoh and Hipshot are the only companies making tuners worth a damn these days. I picked up a Mean/Meaner set from Wolfe, which are just ridiculously good sounding. I've always heard that P90s were Wolfe's specialty, but I didn't realize they were going to be on a whole different level from his humbuckers. The bridge is fat, raunchy, biting, and sweet, impossibly all at the same time. It's the kind of sound that makes you want to play AC/DC riffs and Allman Brothers leads. The neck is just every awesome Tony Iommi neck pickup solo tone from the first two albums; smooth and creamy, which the right amount of rude. They're absolutely the most amazing sounding pickups I've ever heard. I really love the Dr Vintage set in my '92 Standard, but these rare just flat out better.

Hummmmmmmm...goddamn drawbacks. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well fuck you Dave. I have one of these and now I want to upgrade it :lol:
Dude, the Wolfetone Mean/Meaner set is the best $200 you will ever spend in your entire fucking life. If you get the tuners, you may need adapter bushings (mine were Gotoh style screw in bushings). Did I mention that I tossed an aluminum tailpiece and speed knobs on it? Fuck top hats and zinc, yo. :lol:

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Dave is a Dick, he just couldnt let me have more single cuts them him so he had to go buy this..... But the upgrades he did are almost mandatory, if you have not tried an aluminum tail just do it.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Sweet. The specials are about the only non Explorer style gibson I like and that is pretty damn nice.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Wtf is with all the Gibsons lately? Jacksonplayer Chris is the only one who should be getting them. No other doctors or lawyers here.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

I honestly thought IT Operations manager qualified. :shrug:

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
Dude, the Wolfetone Mean/Meaner set is the best $200 you will ever spend in your entire fucking life.
Don't you think I know that? :lol: Ive had alerts on ebay/reverb for them but I gotta just save up and call Wolfe.

If you get the tuners, you may need adapter bushings (mine were Gotoh style screw in bushings). Did I mention that I tossed an aluminum tailpiece on it? :lol
Which tailpiece exactly did you throw on there?

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Dave is a Dick, he just couldnt let me have more single cuts them him so he had to go buy this..... But the upgrades he did are almost mandatory, if you have not tried an aluminum tail just do it.
I do want to get an aluminum tail piece for my LPC.

Noodles, nice guitar - that has to be a rock n' roll machine. On my bucket list to buy at some point is either an LP or SG with P90s. I'm not surprised Wolfe nails them.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I haven't played it with the Wolfetones in it, but it's a pretty kickass guitar without them, so...

:yesway:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts