Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, I remembered that this guitar existed and fell in love with it all over again, basically because of PYRAMIDS. I became desperate to get one and whilst scouring the internet for one, I noticed that an Amsterdam music shop was selling one for a pretty reasonable price. Conveniently enough, a few weeks later I went to the Netherlands to see Alkaloid at Complexity fest in Haarlem, which is pretty close to 'Dam so of course, I went to try the guitar and inspect it. Despite its noticeable flaws, I decided that I wanted it but I was going home by plane. No way would I take it back with me that way so a deposit was in order and just over a month later, I finally picked it up today.
Story time over. About the guitar:
JEM 7PBK
It was built in the first year of the model's production. (1989)
I would describe this as 'Player's condition' because it has its fair share of dents, scratches, rusted screws, chewed up frets, a minor crack behind the nut and a worn bridge but I don't think I'd want a pristine one anyway as I'd be scared to pick it up. :lol:
First impressions after restringing (strings still settling in): I'm really pleased with it. It plays effortlessly as the neck is ridiculously thin and the action was easy to get low. The electronics are a bit dodgy, as in pot crackles and the previous owner having added some switch to it which seemingly needs a battery in the jack cavity :scratch: but when I tried it at the shop it sounded great through an Engl Raider combo. Looking forward to playing this at home!
Crappy phone pics:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Awesome! I wonder if at one time he had a sustainer pickup in there accounting for the battery/switch?

Anyway, kick ass guitar! Always wanted the rootbeer one of that style of Jem.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Those had Wizard necks, not the Jem carve. Sweet rare axe, congrats :)

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers lads!
Awesome! I wonder if at one time he had a sustainer pickup in there accounting for the battery/switch?

Anyway, kick ass guitar! Always wanted the rootbeer one of that style of Jem.
Hmm, that could be a possibility, although I always thought Sustainers had more switches than that.
Funny how that handle shape is known as rootbeer because of the other version's colour :p
take a picture of the electronics, will be easy for us to figure out what is going on, and congrats.
I'm not daring to open that up haha. Taking it to a tech to get it sorted out because it needs a bit of work anyway (frets, nut bolt crack, crackly pots)
Those had Wizard necks, not the Jem carve. Sweet rare axe, congrats :)
Yep and I love it. Don't think I'd tried the original Wizard shape before trying this one. I feel like a (very sloppy) shred wizard when I play it! :D

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
nice fiddle man! and its got the proper number of strings... congrats!

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Very nice.

Stop being a wuss and just open the electronics up. Pop the trem off (leave the strings at tension, remove the springs and it'll just come out the front with a bit of a wiggle), then just unscrew the scratchplate.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice fiddle man! and its got the proper number of strings... congrats!
Thanks! Exactly, as lovely as UVs are, I'm not a 7 player so this one is essentially my only optiom for white pyramids. A very good option too.
Full frontal pics at once! :D

One of the nicest JEM, IMO. Congrats!
Agreed, cheers! I wasn't sure what specifically you wanted from 'full frontal' but here's a shot of the whole guitar:

Very nice.

Stop being a wuss and just open the electronics up. Pop the trem off (leave the strings at tension, remove the springs and it'll just come out the front with a bit of a wiggle), then just unscrew the scratchplate.
I don't trust myself enough haha. Also, I think it would be useless to do so until I have access to an amp and then I'd be able to figure out what it actually does.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
All Jem's are awesome and yours is no exception, but no swirl....no grail. :smoking:

Reactions: BStobart

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I don't trust myself enough haha. Also, I think it would be useless to do so until I have access to an amp and then I'd be able to figure out what it actually does.
It's a piece of cake. The first guitar I ever did it on was my UV7PWH, and that was absolutely mint

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wasn't a fan of the pink/green pyramids, but this was NICE. Black with white pickups/knobs/whatever looks really good.
Yeah they're not exactly for everyone, cheers Rocka :) (I'm surprised you like it since it's not single hum, neck thru or white ;)
It's a piece of cake. The first guitar I ever did it on was my UV7PWH, and that was absolutely mint
Yeah but I'm taking it to Feline at some point anyway so there's not much point!
Congrats!!!
This will do! :lol:

thx.
Np!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts