Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, as promised here is my NGD for my first guitar build (and hopefully not the last).

I'd been planning this quite a while and bought the woods about a year ago from zack at area51 customs in his closing down blowout sale. it was a single piece of sapele and a bookmatched piece of walnut - I've no idea what type, just that its walnut. I then bought an old neck from Jaden Rose which I believe is based on a 7620 neck. Then the project was put on hold for a while and I recently started it up again back in late august.

EDIT: I based it on the RGD shape in case you couldnt see the carves that well!

ok the specs..

body - walnut and sapele
neck - 7620 style in maple with a indeterminate stripes and an ebony board.
hardware - hipshot bridge and locking tuners
pickups - BKP nailbomb in the bridge and BKP coldsweat in the neck.
electronics - allparts push/pull pot and an allparts switch (both are crackly and need looking at :pissed:)
finish - Truoil

so it plays really nice, the neck feels good and its the first ebony board I've owned but its got a really nice sound to it. I'm not sure if its the body woods or the ebony board, but it has a fast attack - something i've never noticed before and vibrato sounds really defined and almost exaggerated compared to other guitars I've played. the pickups are great too - although the nailbomb is a little muddy and might take a little getting used to. I've not tweaked my patches on the pod yet so that will probably play a part too -and the neck in the tapped position sounds awesome :flex:

anyway, on to the pron - luthiers dont judge too harshly, there are a few mistakes I made along the way especially the pickup routes which are too big and a little rough, and the backplate is off as I was looking at the electrics before taking the pics. Also I'm NOT a photographer, and borrowed a DSLR and set everything to auto :yesway:

I tried to capture some of the flame around here but it didnt come out as well on camera as I hoped.

homemade volume knob :flex: i havent decided if i'm going to use it yet as on the body it doesn't stand out at all and I think I prefer the look of the black metal one i've got lying around.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Nice man!:metal:

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tonally, sapele is typically brigther than mahogany (within grain / density variations, of course). Looking great! :)
feel free to make me an offer :rofl: cheers Fred! thats interesting to know. I chose walnut on the top as I didnt want anything too dark, and thought if the sapele is dark like mahogany it should balance. It seems to have done the trick, its got an awesome growl to it.

and Ant...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
That's pretty fuckin' sexy. Reminds me of the Caparison WM Dellinger with a Walnut top and Mahogany back.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
I'm totally impressed looks killer man.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
That turned out fantastic. :hbang:

Looks like a killer guitar. Best RGD I've seen, I reckon. Better than the official Ibanez ones. That thick top looks great from all sorts of angles. And really, playable. I'm right into the idea of a fixed bridge, so I'd love to play that.

Is it just regular scale, or the 26.5" (or whatever) the RGDs are?

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys, the bevels didnt come out quite right, especially in the upper horn as there was some sort of sap in there that was rock solid and I couldnt shape it evenly like the bottom half so I had to make do.

When I'm next down your neck of the woods I'll bring it down Lee and you can have a blast on it. hardtails are great for simplicity and are solid. Its funny, now I've finished it I really fancy a maple board 6 with a trem :lol:

Its a 25.5 but I think I mounted the neck a little further from the body than a regular 25.5 so the neck looks a tad longer (but the bridge is at the correct scale length still).

just found a picture of the body from 6 months ago!

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Looks great man, I couldn't do that with 100 blanks :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts