Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so as some of you know from my earlier thread, I recently lost everything I own, including all of my gear, when my apartment caught fire. Fortunately, things are turning out to be ok. The outpouring of generosity from friends, family, and sometimes complete strangers has been incredible. Particularly notable was my grandmother who decided that she wanted to be the one to buy me a new guitar. She gave me a budget of about 700 bucks. So to make a long story short, here she is!

I chose this PRS SE Singlecut in turquoise. Everything I've ever heard about these guitars is completely true. It feels SOOOOOO nice, and looks stunning. The colorful top against the natural binding and black back is so classy looking, and the color is a nice balance between class and fr00t. This was a floor model, so they knocked some of the price off. I had intended on replacing the pickups with the leftover money, but based on some limited amp time, the stock ones sound fantastic. I just put a set of elixirs on it and other than having to widen a few of the nut slots, the set up out of the box is perfect. So completely happy with this purchase. My apologies for the pictures; they're the best I could do with my cell phone camera and they turned out a bit brighter than reality.

More pics:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
*great* guitars. Congrats on beginning anew.

·
Y R U Avoiding Me?
1,403 Posts
Awesome guitars and yeah the stock pups are pretty good. If you want to take that guitar to the next level..

Do this..
Replace tuners
Possibly replace nut.That's a judgement call you'll have to make.
Replace the bridge with one from a US PRS.They're a perfect match but the US one is actually metal and not the alloy that's on the Korean. It makes a big difference.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Congrats man. Very nice! You have to be the first guy I have seen take pics of his guitar on the stove. LOL. I agree with White Cluster as far as swapping the nut and tuners. Those are the weak points of the SE's. I put Schaller lockers and a graphtech nut on mine as soon as I got it. I also put a set of USA Dragon II's in mine that came out of one of my my USA Cu22's and they sound great. As for swapping the bridge I wouldn't waste the money. The USA bridge is a bit better part, but I doubt you would tell much of a difference. Especially for the $230 or so the bridge would cost.

Heres a pic of my SE

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
:woot:

Get it off that stove! :eek: :lol:
Without being insensitive, you beat me too it :rofl: something along the lines of, "If you don't want to lose your gear, keep it away from a stove! In all seriousness though, I'm sorry to hear about your loss and happy NGD! PRS rules. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, after walking around my apartment looking for a place that had the best lighting (weather has been bad outside), the stove just happened to be the best spot.

I plan on eventually replacing the nut and tuners since that will be relatively cheap, but I'll probably live with the bridge. The intonation is very very good already, and though I'd like to upgrade from the pot metal, it's not a huge worry.

The guitar has a very pleasing, woodsy, midrange growl to it. The high end has a very nice roll off that keeps the highs from being shrill or tinkly, and the low end is fairly tight.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
If you would like to try a very low cost upgrade to add a bit more balls. I have the SE HFS/Vintage bass set out of mine. They are actually not bad pickups and the HFS should be a good bit hotter than the bridge pickup in yours. It measures at like 14.8K or so it pretty much exactly what the USA HFS measures at. It has a ton of harmonics and is pretty good sounding. I probably wouldn't have taken them out if I didn't swap pickups in my Cu22 and have the Dragon II set just laying around. If you want them let me know. I will sell them to you for the low price of $0 :) As for the bridge the USA bridge really doesn't have any more mass than the SE bridge. I have had them side by side.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Stitch said:
If you want them let me know. I will sell them to you for the low price of $0 :)
That's really fucking cool of you dude. :yesway:
Plus one internets for yellow :agreed:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Good to see you getting some gear to replace the stuff you lost :yesway:

If you do upgrade the bridge, get a Tone Pro's. It locks on so the bridge won't fall off everytime you replace your strings, plus they do a version with intonatable saddles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts