Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is for sure the most "incredible" deal I ever made, not because of the Items per see but because of what I got out of it.

About a year and half ago a work colleague bought an Ibanez RG321 MH from a used store. The price wasnt bad (180 euros I believe) and it come with a Gigbag, nothing special but not bad.

Later he decided to change the pickups to a Dimarzio AT1 and a Duncan 59 for the neck that he spoted used on local Used stuff website. He also bought a new Boss GT1 a couple months later from Thomann.

Time passed and he basically stopped caring about any of it, so this past week he asked me if I was interested in buying the Ibanez since he hasnt played in 6-8 or more months. Not really but joking I said,

-Do it for 20 euros and I might think about it.

- Ok its yours...

-Whatt???? I was joking dude!!!

-I dont care its yours and you get the pickups as well, by the way do you also want the Boss Board? For 50 euros you take it all.

- o_O

Well how can you say no? I told him that you can make a a LOT more by even going to the second hand shop and sell it to them (or even by selling the Pickups online) he replied in a very typical English manner :

- I cant be arsed to go there.

- Dude its 15-20 min by Bus!

- Care less, you want it or not?

So... I had to do the guy a favor :D

Excuse the crap Cellphone pics.

The guitar is nice, nicer than I was expecting it and he had lend me the Boss early this year for me to try it out, not something I would had bought for myself but now I have one and lets see what I make out of it.

Fret wise she needs work, theres a bunch of high frets that need to be leveled so and because this was so cheap (or basically given I must say) I will invest in a proper Fret leveling, so today she will go to the Local Store that has a tech that does this stuff.

She has 1+ year old strings that are rusty as fuck but I've been happily playing her since yesterday :D

For those that notice (yeah Rock I mean you) the Inlays aren't aligned, you can easily spot it on the pics :p

Im loving the tone of the AT1 on this guitar, I had an AT1 on a Alder Superstrat last year and wasn't thrilled that much by it, found it too "bright" but in here it simply fits and its warm and punchy.

He also put the original INF pickups in there...

Im almost kinda feeling bad because this was so cheap, so I need to buy him several beers or pay one or two dinners at least.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Put the GT-1 through some IR's, it'll sound even better. It's a really good-sounding device, for $200.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Smokin' deal. Even if you just flip the stuff and buy something else you really want.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahahaha... na the dude is clean I know that, he simply gets fed up fast on things and got his interest more into an Acoustic one... to bad he didn't bought the Charvel he wanted last year or else I might would have it now as a super price as well :)

I dont really plan to keep the Boss unit, the guitar is cool actually, nothing special but she plays fine even with some raised frets. Im sure ill mod her a bit and then let her go too. Made me realize that the Wizzard III neck isn't that bad and that I got used to it really fast even though its D profile is chunkier than the MTM2 and also that I really like Mahogany bodies... meaning the Jem Jr got a lot more interesting :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
Great deal man, congrats!

Those 321MH's are probably the best "cheap" guitar you can get. Throw a Duncan Distortion in there and your set. Ive got 2 of them (2nd one came up for sale locally with a great case, mainly bought it for the case). My cousin ended up buying one aswell after hearing/playing mine. ITs great they sell for peanuts if play the waiting game.

Strange thing though, they all have different neck profiles. I made moulds of one of them with some bondo and its almost identical to a mexican charvel socal neck profile. Closer to the charvel than the other 321MH's, which is kinda strange (and awesome, as i loev socals necks).

Found out they also make a maple fretboard version. If i ever find one ill grab it too!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The RG321 doesn't exist anymore, the model I got is from 2008 I believe since it still has the old non Gibraltar bridge. Now its the RG421 (same thing, just another number version)

I have some pickups with me that I brought from home (my country) that i can try... Its just im so tired from work that I dont wanna go deal with Soldering :)

Yes there is a Maple fretboard but Thomann only seem to have or are waiting for it is this one:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg421ahm_bmt.htm

Neck profile being different, well they are cheap guitars so Im pretty sure theres a lot of variations on them.

Andertons have the 421 in Mapple:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/RG421...-rg421m-wk-electric-guitar-in-weathered-black

And they dont have the Gibraltar Bridge... weird...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts