Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this one won't visually please everyone. :lol:

As I mentioned in this these threads :

http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...ussion/28143-ngd-bc-rich-asm-black-maple.html

http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...-ngd-ii-custom-charvel-warmoth-ash-maple.html

… I ordered 3 guitars with the goal of keeping just one. So far, the custom Charvel won over the BC Rich, wich I already sold. :lol:

This particular '89 Charvel Spectrum I found locally for a ridiculous price (250$). I think the guy had no idea… Not that it's worth a thousand bucks but beside some fretwear, the guitar is absolutely mint. I did not like the original white pickguard and truss rod cover… So I ordered a custom made black pickguard from Chandler and removed the truss rod cover to remove all things white on the guitar.

To be honest, I've never been attracted to orange guitars (especially fluorescent orange!) and I thought I'd clean and "upgrade" it then sell it back with a small profit. BUT… After I cleaned it, oiled the fretboard and change the strings… Holy shit. The old school Charvels necks are my favorites as far as 6-stringers go and this one is no exception. Looove it, even with the ebony board (I really prefer maple usually…). For those who don't know, i'd say it's pretty thin. Not Wizard I thin but close, with the contour beeing more rounded than flat.

Needless to say it sounds like no other guitar I have. It's the first time I have a guitar with active single coils so I don't really have any comparaison points… Let me just say it's the first time I feel like keeping a guitar with single coils. :lol: I never heard such pristine cleans trough my amp. I'm not quite sure how to say it : the tone is truly a single coil one, but it's "fatter" and "rounder" in some way. The onboard "wah" (or mid boost) is pretty fun too, makes it sound like an engaged wah that wouldn't rock back and forth.

Now, I can't help but think this is a keeper. In the end, I'll probably keep 2 out of 3 guitars. Especially with the price I paid for this one. :D
Here's some infos I found on the guitar. I don't know to what extent it's valid, but here it is anyway.

The three pickups appear to be single-coils, but are in fact "stacked" single-coil sized humbuckers with an active tone circuit with a wah function.

- Poplar body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard
- 22 Jumbo frets with dotted inlays
- P-bass inspired pickguard.
- LFR Jackson JT590 tremolo (made in Germany by Schaller)
- Active electronics with 3 single-coil
- Volume knob, tone knob and a Switch for the Mid-boost (JE-1200).
- Locking Jackson-tuners.
Iphone pics :

Here's a link to Charvel's 1989 catalog :

Ch1989Imports04 ‹ GUITAR GALLERY

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Ugly as fuck but still bad ass! Congrats :yesway: Its also the same exact color as my Ibanez bass. :agreed:

Also Why does the Iphone make it look yellow in the pics? If it had a maple board it would be amazing. :eek:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
As soon as i read "fluorescent orange" i thought, "Did Frenchie get a Spectrum?"

Awesome guitar, man! FWIW, i think it looks better with the white pickguard, but it's your guitar. ;)

That orange is definitely making your camera's CCD freak out.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Mid-life crisis my ass. Awesome is timeless.
:agreed: I'd hang on to that one dude...it looks like a really unique beast. I actually really like that pick-guard.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Oh fuck. That's two guitars you've picked up in this little spree that I really want :lol:

That is amazing.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^

Thanks to all of you! :)

Also Why does the Iphone make it look yellow in the pics? If it had a maple board it would be amazing. :eek:
Yeah, i've been looking for a maple fretboard one... But they're quite rare.
As for the pics, I guess Darren is right about the CCD. :lol:

As soon as i read "fluorescent orange" i thought, "Did Frenchie get a Spectrum?"
Right on. :D

I'm just not a fan of the pickguard, but nice colour!
Yeah, many people aren't. I was not a fan of it at first... But honestly, each time I play it, that detail goes away.

Holy shit, man. Early midlife crisis?
I guess, in some way... You could say that. :lol:

Mid-life crisis my ass. Awesome is timeless.
:rofl:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
It just dawned on me. I designed a guitar on USACG's website that looks similar to that.

Great minds and all that happy horse shit I guess.

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Wow. I grew up in the '80s and don't like that. Reminds me of something the guy from The Cars would play (Elliot Easton?) :lol:

Still, if you like it, that's all that matters. I still can't shake the BC Rich GAS you gave me. That Bathory model has the components I'd want in a custom, and I could put up with the cosmetic stuff I don't care for considering the price point.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It just dawned on me. I designed a guitar on USACG's website that looks similar to that.

Great minds and all that happy horse shit I guess.
Yup. Great minds think alike. :D

Wow. I grew up in the '80s and don't like that. Reminds me of something the guy from The Cars would play (Elliot Easton?) :lol:

Still, if you like it, that's all that matters. I still can't shake the BC Rich GAS you gave me. That Bathory model has the components I'd want in a custom, and I could put up with the cosmetic stuff I don't care for considering the price point.
Well, it's not because I grew up in the 80's that I necessarily like how the Spectrums look. :lol:
I admit, they're pretty unique, but once you get past that pickguard (wich is pretty much the only "weird" thing about it) it plays like a dream. At the price I paid for it, I really wanted to sell it back... But that was before I set it up and play it. Its tone is quite unique.

Now about that BC Rich... I highly recommend it. :D
Seriously, at that price, that guitar rules. Very solid. Only thing that put me off is that I really prefer bolt-on and slimmer necks.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Congrats!
I think those are cool looking.
what's under the pick guard? can you take it off or is there an exposed route?
Old Charvel/Jackson necks rule :yesway:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts