Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, why not pair a Fujigen lawsuit Les Paul Custom with a Fujigen lawsuit Les Paul Standard?

Couldn't resist the price on this one. It's a mid-1990s History Las Vegas Standard:

And here it is with a set of Wolfetone Marshallheads installed:

Fujigen makes the History line of guitars for the Shimamura Music Co. retailer in Japan. Their later catalogs have specifications in English, but the 1996 catalog with this guitar is all in Japanese, and I haven't bothered to try and figure it all out: https://www.shimamura.co.jp/origina...96.798749359.1602093120-1233730534.1599667729

Relatively few Histories make it out of Japan compared to Edwards guitars, I'm guessing because Shimamura won't ship internationally.

Amusingly, one of the relatively few Western sources of info I could find on this model features this exact guitar, based on the figuring on the top! https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/history-las-vegas.132379/ This guy told me he traded it for an Ibanez some years ago. There are probably a handful of History LPs from this era in the USA.

History's current LPs aren't exact reproductions the way this one is; they added a few things like a smoother neck join and a slightly revised headstock shape.

The stock pickups were History "Louis" models--I'm guessing made by Gotoh, but I'm not sure. Best I can tell, they are an Alnico 3 design. Not great, not terrible; smooth but no character. I put in my spare Marshallhead set, and this one now sings with a nice rock 'n' roll attitude (but not over the top metal).

It's rather amusing--Gibson can't make two consecutive guitars off the line consistently, but my two Fujigen LPs made a decade apart (and sold under different brands) have the EXACT same neck profile.

The frets on the History are taller than those on the FGN, and it's lighter (9 lbs., versus about 9.8 lbs for the FGN).

Compared to the Les Paul Classic that I've currently got on eBay, this is a much deeper sounding guitar but also with a crisper top-end. This is probably due to the '59-ish bigger neck on the History versus the thin '60 Slim Taper neck on the Classic. The Classic has a nice snarl, but that's about it. Not a thick enough tone.

Comparing it to the FGN, they are both excellent players. The History has a more open sound, while the FGN just has unreal sustain (almost like engaging a compressor). Obviously, a guitar with rosewood/maple cap is going to sound different than a guitar with ebony/mahogany cap, beyond the difference in pickups. It's not an indulgence to have both--the FGN does the Sykes thing well, while the History is more in Gary Moore territory.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I love plain-tops. That is awesome!

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I know opinions are like assholes, but I've played Historys and I've owned Edwards and the History is just a better guitar in damn near every way. The one piece back is a nice touch on yours, Congrats! People need to expand their sights a bit past all the Edwards copies out there, there are better, less well known guitars for less if you look and ask around. Not to shit on Edwards though :)

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know opinions are like assholes, but I've played Historys and I've owned Edwards and the History is just a better guitar in damn near every way. The one piece back is a nice touch on yours, Congrats! People need to expand their sights a bit past all the Edwards copies out there, there are better, less well known guitars for less if you look and ask around. Not to shit on Edwards though :)
This one actually has a two-piece back, but you have to look very closely to find the seam due to the trans-cherry finish. I think some of them did have one-piece backs, though, and I've also seen speculation that Shimamura may have had someone else besides Fujigen, such as Deviser, building them at different times. Hard to find solid information on these.

The only Edwards I've owned was a '61 SG Custom repro years ago. It was too neck-heavy, just like the original Gibson, so I sold it. Almost wish I hadn't, as I've never seen another one like it pop up. I recall it being nice, actually, but I've played other Edwards in shops that weren't very inspiring. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of ESP's style of fret finishing and have always preferred Fujigen's fretwork, so that's a big factor for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts