Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They need a bit of TLC, and I don't have any of the disks but this should be fun once I get them working. :metal: One is missing a key, and the screen doesn't seem to work but they both power on. I can hear the floppy drive spin up on the one with a faulty screen. Planning on fixing the one with issues, modding them both with disk drive emulators and selling one of them. I've been really into synthesizers here lately, they have become a very important part of my current sound because they add so much atmosphere and just sit in the mix so well. These are the first of a long (and expensive) journey into hardware synths. :lol:

*edit for glorious gritty pads*

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those sound like they're gonna be a cool project :yesway:
Thank you, i'm really excited to get at least one of them making sound! I did some exploratory surgery on both of them last night. I cleaned up the one that's in better condition and i'm almost positive the screen issue with the other is the ribbon cable since it has a pretty rough crease in it. Also placed a bid on a disk drive emulator that gives all the original samples on a usb drive. 320 of the original samples. The floppy emulators themselves are fairly cheap (without the sounds) so plan is to clone the USB drive with all the sounds for the other one.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Hardware synths are the best, and Ensoniq stuff is legendary analog happiness. You did good with this pair if you got 'em cheap :)

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hardware synths are the best, and Ensoniq stuff is legendary analog happiness. You did good with this pair if you got 'em cheap :)
I really got them for a steal. Not going to make much profit if any by selling one of them off but I should at least break even while getting to keep one. They cleaned up pretty well too. Keys are a little aged but I got a lot of the grit and grime off of both of them pretty easy with just some diluted alcohol. I opened them both up and had a look while cleaning them and they were designed very well. Seems the screen issue is just a bent ribbon cable, so i'll get out cheaper than expecting repairing it. The floppy emulator is on its way from the UK so hopefully i'll have one of them making sound here in a few weeks! As far as hardware synths being best,I'm already eyeballing Behringer's Moog clone as well as their Neutron synth but I need to calm down my gear purchases for a little while. :lol: I'll at least wait until I sell one of these Ensoniq boards. haha

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I am still on the fence about the Behringer D, but only because when it's in front of you the thing is stupid tiny :lol: If I have to put on reading glasses to see the knobs I'm not sure I'll get one. The SE-01 is the same tiny form factor, but a far more useful synth. Consider an Alesis ION too if you can find one cheap, they are amazing for a small VA synth. Tons of great synths analog coming out now, and should be more from Behringer soon. They bought the rights to the name "OB-X", and are making the SEM chips being used by Dave Smith now so there may be a Behringer Oberheim clone in the future :)

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success! :woot: I discovered this one also has a mangled ribbon cable in need of replacing. Some weird glitches making me have to reset randomly but otherwise working perfectly! At least it's an easy repair.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
oooh, that sounds good! You should try Subdivisions with that big SEM sawtooth

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oooh, that sounds good! You should try Subdivisions with that big SEM sawtooth
I still have a lot of sounds I haven't even tried yet. 960 in all. 320 disk images, all have 3 different sounds on them. Already finding some really cool stuff. Not as much stuff like the clip as I had hoped but I have a bunch of other files I found online too, as soon as I figure out how to format them right.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congrats. My first keyboard was a Mirage. I would edit samples in Alchemy and send them to the Mirage via midi. Took forever.
I just put one of those Gotek floppy to USB adapters in my Triton today. It works great. I'm getting a few more for some hardware samplers I have.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats. My first keyboard was a Mirage. I would edit samples in Alchemy and send them to the Mirage via midi. Took forever.
I just put one of those Gotek floppy to USB adapters in my Triton today. It works great. I'm getting a few more for some hardware samplers I have.
Oh really?! I might be PM'ing you about making samples for it here in the near future as i'm a complete noob with sampling anything really, but especially for the Mirage. I do have the Gotek emulator installed and it works really well. I thought my issue was ribbon cables, and that solved some things but I need to find ribbons with lower profile connectors and I think I just need to go on and re-solder the whole main board. Just some random weird glitches that happen seems like that would be the route to take to fix. It's a really old and beat up board and could probably do with having the old caps replaced too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts