Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded for a used G&L Strat at Atomic Music today. This is the best-sounding strat I've ever owned--it absolutely blew away every USA Fender in the store by a wide margin. It's got some kind of Duncan Rail pickup in the bridge, and the stock G&Ls in the other two slots, which sound great and punchy with both clean and gainy tones. The guitar is so fat-sounding that bridge pickup gets into total Scott Henderson territory through my Axe-FX, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Plus, it *sparkles*. :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Win! A good Strat is hard to beat.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Those G&L gold sparkle finishes are LOUD. There were a pair of them hanging at the Sam Ash at Times Square today, and the glitter flakes in the finish must be like a millimeter or two apiece.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Holy fucking shit I must play that as soon as fucking possible. Wow. :holy:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pimptastic :lol:

So, what did you trade for it?
Fernandes Ravelle and an old beat-up Carvin bass. The Fernandes was ok, but I wasn't really feeling it, and it's nice to have consolidated down a bit and also have gotten a really nice strat. I bought those two at Atomic, so I was able to do a sell-back there for much more than you normally get in trade.

The electronics arrangement on the G&L S-500 is very interesting. Instead of the traditional vol/tone/tone, it has a volume, a high roll-off pot, and a low roll-off pot. It also has a toggle switch that activates the two pickup combos not allowed by a 5-way strat switch. The roll-off pots are a trip and give a ridiculous variety of sounds. Rolled all the way down, they act a lot like a wah in a fixed position, but you can do all kinds of different pickup and roll-off combos that go from fat to spiky.

Having a low roll-off especially helps, because the G&L pickups are much bassier than a normal strat. You get a great full sound you can't get on a Fender, but you can also get a Fender sound by backing off the low-end knob a bit. The setup might be a bit fussy for live use, but in the studio you can do cool stuff with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts