Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies for going into another quiet phase and not sharing more guitars with you fine folks; life sometimes gets in the way!

Here's another interesting acquisition from Japan; a Jackson Grover King V Professional Dave Mustaine signature model, phewph that was a long one. Made in 1993 according to the serial on the fretboard.
I'm not sure if this one can be classed as a true 'Professional' model (despite the Gold Truss rod cover stating so) since it was not supposed to be released outside of Japan, but it was produced by the great Chushin Gakki factory. Western markets got the same guitar minus the 'Jackson Grover' label, instead getting squiggly signature and model descriptions on the headstock and truss rod cover.

This is my first pointy and V-shaped guitar. I was considering getting a Satin Black ESP NV at some point, but I am glad that this Jackson appeared at the right time.
I'll have to admit that I'm not much of a Megadeth fan, but this guitar's combination of specifications and design/shape appealed to me. Hats off to Mr. Mustaine for having good taste, back then at least.

Plays great, fairly fast neck with a comfortable profile but not as thin as I expected it to be. Sounds fine to me for thrashy metal tones. The bridge pickup is either a J-80 or J-92C (will check the badge on the back of it when I next change strings). The neck pickup is a Bill Lawrence L-500 model which is a bit too hot for that position in my opinion, is there a way to determine whether it is the XL version?
The bridge is a fixed Kahler APM 3310, which is completely over-engineered for the job (i.e not having to be a *** operated tremolo), but seems to keep everything in tune quite nicely and is configured for comfortable palm muting.

The guitar arrived in the largest hard cases I've ever encountered (sorry for not including a photo of it), one of the latches was missing...otherwise everything inside was perfect. I'm not sure if the guitar was played to any great extent; it looked and felt brand new. Absolutely no dings, scratches, or even pick scrapes. Brand new strings, tuning and intonation spot on for E-standard and neck setup with zero fret.

Specifications:

Neck Joint: Neck Through
Body Material: Yellow Poplar
Neck Material: Quarter Sawn Maple, Straight Grain
Fingerboard Material: Ebony
Neck Scale: 25 1/2 inches (648mm)
Nut width: 43mm
No. of Frets: 24
Fret type: Rockwell C6/Brinell 171, Size - .118 x .114 x .51 x .37, Composition - 18% Nickel Silver
Nut Material: Carbon Fibre
Fretboard Inlay Shape/Style: Sharkfin in Pearl

Body Shape: King V

Bridge: Kahler APM 3310 Fixed
Machine Heads: Jackson Branded Gotoh SG38-06
Pickup Neck: Bill Lawrence L-500
Pickup Bridge: Jackson J-80
Controls: Two Volume, One Tone, 3-Way Switch

Accessories: Hard Case, Adjustable Wrench

Updated

A couple more photos, see reply #14 for the whole set:

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
The neck pickup is a Bill Lawrence L-500 model which is a bit too hot for that position in my opinion, is there a way to determine whether it is the XL version?
I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that this pickup isn't really supposed to be used: Mustaine used this one to have its "rails" serve as extra high frets.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that this pickup isn't really supposed to be used: Mustaine used this one to have its "rails" serve as extra high frets.
That is kind of awesome :lol:

As is the guitar :yesway:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's an interesting tidbit of information. The rails on mine are fairly flush with the rest of the pickup housing, so no fancy extra fret tricks for me!
I'm sure he also used another type of rail back then...for recreational purposes. :eek:

:winning:
Thanks. Is Mr. Sheen still a symbol of all badassery nowadays?

That is kind of awesome :lol:

As is the guitar :yesway:
Thanks dude. It's not wonder that the Professional and Grover Jackson Japan models got phased out of Western markets for being too awesome and taking away from the popularity and sales of the USA range.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I was metal enough to play Vs, this is the V I would play. :metal:

We're going to need more than just those two pictures though sir. :squint:
Thanks Chris. I'm far less metal nowadays, long hair was lopped off a few years ago, but having an imagination helps!
If the weather improves enough over the weekend (i.e if the Sun decides to make an appearance), I'll take some extra photos, with added close-ups.

Damn. Sick.
Thanks dude.

This is one of my unicorn guitars! Lemme know if you ever want to part with it!
Thanks Brian. I'll keep it in mind for sure.
Surely it would be easier to source a nice Jackson USA KV1 in your region, or does the legend of Jackson Professionals make these so special?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guitars in grass always remind me of the Savatage Edge of Thorns video. Killer guitar though!!
Thanks Vince. I don't think my tiny garden compares well to the Florida Wetlands! And I'm no Criss Oliva (R.I.P)...

Beautiful in classy black. I don't know much about these but I don't see that bridge all of the time.
Cheers dude, in the past I've mostly been into guitars with figured tops. It's a nice change to have something with a more understated paint aesthetic.
Beyond Dave's Jackson Signature KV1 and KV Pro models and Marty's Kelly KE1, not many production guitars feature these Kahler fixed bridges.
I think Kahler discontinued this particular model of bridge (APM 3310) a while ago, but the 3300 and 7330 are still available.

How is that bridge?
As mentioned in my original blurb, it is too complex in design for its purpose of being a fixed bridge. I'd prefer to have a simple Hipshot-style bridge, but hey, these are MegaDave's requested specifications.
It has quite a low profile so it doesn't become obstructive or uncomfortable for palm muting, not quite as low as a recessed floating tremolo but better than a Tune-O-Matic.
Sustain is okay, maybe there's just too much milled metal in there and not enough resonance with the body wood. Stays in tune even after an extensive play session, I haven't had to use the fine tuners much. I don't feel the urge to install locking tuners, like I have on some other guitars.

Hope to have some more photos up very soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've always wanted a guitar with that bridge! I get obsessive about tweaking things so something like that is perfect for me. How would you describe the feel underhand - closer to a TOM or a Floyd?

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Hnnnnnng

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the Dayums Gifs and onomatopoeias.

And yes, it was great to get a pointy guitar without tip damage. Even the famously damaged Jackson headstock thing hasn't happened (yet).

I've always wanted a guitar with that bridge! I get obsessive about tweaking things so something like that is perfect for me. How would you describe the feel underhand - closer to a TOM or a Floyd?
Yes, a very tweakable bridge, perhaps a bit much for my lazy self.
I would err more in the Floyd direction since you are dealing with big metal saddles, but a non-recessed one. The rollers on the saddles do make it very different though.
It's hard to describe really, and you can't just declare "it feels like a Kahler" since not every guitarist has had an opportunity to try one.

Damn, that really is a killer looking guitar! Any plans to use the case as a dining table?
Thanks James. It can be used as an effective workbench at the moment, but I'm sure that a few nippers could have a fun dinner party on it once some table legs are attached.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.