Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a JPM100 P3 from eBay the other day. It had shitty quality photos in the listing, and I now know why; it's in a bit of a state. I'll try to fix it up a bit, but I wonder if this is a bit of a lost cause, without piling a lot of money into it. The trem's in fairly bad shape, the frets are pretty knackered, and the finish is a bit fucked in places.

Here's a few pics and a video. This is right out of the box, and it feels pretty disgusting. It needs a thorough clean, strings are ancient, and it's in dire need of a set-up (buzzing and fretting out all over the place. Tried to show this in the video). I'm not too bummed out. It was £570, so I wasn't expecting a case queen. You win some, you lose some. It's still a great looking fiddle, and I've wanted one of these ever since I went gay for Dream Theater. Once it's all in playing condition, I'm sure it'll feel better.

I tried to learn this song in two days, but that was pretty arrogant. I'm dropping parts all over the place. I guess I need to 'take the time' to learn it. Yeah! So, excuse the slops, the dropped notes, and the impromptu and terrible backing vocals. I just love this song so god damned much!

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wow, yeah that thing looks like it's been around and is showing its age. I'd say a little TLC will get it sorted out, though.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Sorry it's in shit shape, Lee. It's a cool guitar though! If it were me, I'd either block the trem, or replace it, and then keep an eye out for a Prestige neck to toss on there at some point.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Ouch :/ Reminds me of a Jem I tried which was pretty badly set up and the nick wasn't great.
I'm sure you could probably do it up and make it a mean shredder though. My luthier friend knows a really good lacquerist so I could pass on some details if you want that fixed up.

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
Pisses me off to see that someone let such a great guitar get into that state. My P4 is an outstanding guitar so some elbow grease could pay off.

Teddy, the answer is yes, like mine but I"m piss poor at describing them.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Yeah, just clean it up and I'm sure it will rock. I LOVE bound dot neck boards, she's going to look and feel great when you get finished with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it's a "Viper" neck. Slightly narrower nut and different profile than a Wizard. Not many Ibanez's had them.
Aye. Same as was on the 620 I had, I believe. There's a few models with them, but obviously the Wizard profiles are the more common ones. Fucked if I can tell the difference between these profiles, though. They're just slim necks to me.

Gonna set to work on cleaning it up in a bit. I just like looking at it for the moment. Oh, and there's no way I'm blocking off a Lo Pro Edge. It's the best trem in history. I'd rather buy another and replace it than have it spayed.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
what's up with that huge crack across the body? That's the only thing that really stands out as 'other' than normal wear and tar, except maybe that trem damage on the top side, wth.

I really like those jp guitars.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
Strip it down and clean it I bet it will be a different guitar.

·
I don't like it.
11,070 Posts
Assuming it's a polyester finish, you can wick some thin or medium superglue in that huge crack and at the very least stabilize it. It may be possible to fill it with superglue then wet sand it and buff it, but it's hard to tell if it's lifted, which would make sanding through very likely.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts