Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this one really *is* just another cherry burst LP. :lol:

I stopped by Action Music yesterday, which was my first mistake. They had this 2013 Les Paul Traditional Pro II for a price that was just barely affordable for me. Since it's one of the really good ones that Nashville can occasionally turn out when the guys on the shop floor aren't secretly giving Henry J. the middle finger, I had no other choice. Sorry for the picture quality...

This one has a '50s neck profile on it, and it's a total tone machine. I was quite surprised to see the one-piece back. I figured you could only get that from the Custom Shop. The Traditional Pro II has what Gibson (in its moronic way) calls "traditional weight relief." It's pretty mild weight relief, since this one has some nice weight to it without being overbearing. I'd say just a tad under 10 lbs. The chambered ones Gibson makes now are silly, since it destroys much of the LP sound, IMHO. Might as well get a 335 and call it good.

The neck pickup is instant Gary Moore, and that's not a sound I've been able to get from my Heritage LPC. I'm no fan of the '57 pickups in my SG, so I was quite surprised by how good the '57 Super/'57 Classic set in this LP sounds. The Super is obviously a hotter pickup than the regular Classic in the bridge of my SG, but the Super also has a fatter sound that works great for most things. No "icepick in the forehead" thing going on at all, which surprised me.

It's got push/pull coil taps and a 10db boost on the third push/pull. You can see the battery door on the back cover, and I haven't yet opened it up to see what kind of circuit board hell is going on in there. :lol:

The boost is probably extraneous for what I will do with this guitar, but the coil taps are surprisingly fun to play with.

Having this guitar now means I'm definitely converting the Heritage into a metal machine with some high-gain pickups. I've got a vintage Duncan DDJ on the way, so it'll hopefully get into Rhoads/Sykes territory.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Did you and dave just get management promotions and get gibsons? :lol:

Congrats, this clearly had to stand out for you to buy it.

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
Congrats man, at my shop these are EASILY my favorite modern Les Paul by Gibson. Ive been able to sell them pretty easy :lol:

I was confused that you got it since they usually have the 60s neck but noticed you got a 50s neck one.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you and dave just get management promotions and get gibsons? :lol: .
Yep. I'm aiming for upper management now, so I can start on my Collings and PRS Private Reserve collection that will hang uselessly on the wall. It's the American Dream!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Jesus, Chris, didn't you just sell me the same guitar a few years back? :lol:

It's the pickups, bridge ground, jack, and switch with plastic connector ends, plugged into a PCB with the boost and pots. I pretty much ripped it all out of mine. However, the boost is good for matching the tapped output level to the humbuckers in a live situation; that's what I use it for on my Studio.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Yep. I'm aiming for upper management now, so I can start on my Collings and PRS Private Reserve collection that will hang uselessly on the wall. It's the American Dream!
I look forward to the private reserve section of that wall!

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Jesus, Chris, didn't you just sell me the same guitar a few years back? :lol:

It's the pickups, bridge ground, jack, and switch with plastic connector ends, plugged into a PCB with the boost and pots. I pretty much ripped it all out of mine. However, the boost is good for matching the tapped output level to the humbuckers in a live situation; that's what I use it for on my Studio.
I regretted selling you back that one within a few days, though your old Soloist is a regular player for me.

I'm planning to keep the electronics as-is unless I feel like I just have to change.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Okay, this one really *is* just another cherry burst LP. :lol:

I stopped by Action Music yesterday, which was my first mistake. They had this 2013 Les Paul Traditional Pro II for a price that was just barely affordable for me. Since it's one of the really good ones that Nashville can occasionally turn out when the guys on the shop floor aren't secretly giving Henry J. the middle finger, I had no other choice. Sorry for the picture quality...

This one has a '50s neck profile on it, and it's a total tone machine. I was quite surprised to see the one-piece back. I figured you could only get that from the Custom Shop. The Traditional Pro II has what Gibson (in its moronic way) calls "traditional weight relief." It's pretty mild weight relief, since this one has some nice weight to it without being overbearing. I'd say just a tad under 10 lbs. The chambered ones Gibson makes now are silly, since it destroys much of the LP sound, IMHO. Might as well get a 335 and call it good.

The neck pickup is instant Gary Moore, and that's not a sound I've been able to get from my Heritage LPC. I'm no fan of the '57 pickups in my SG, so I was quite surprised by how good the '57 Super/'57 Classic set in this LP sounds. The Super is obviously a hotter pickup than the regular Classic in the bridge of my SG, but the Super also has a fatter sound that works great for most things. No "icepick in the forehead" thing going on at all, which surprised me.

It's got push/pull coil taps and a 10db boost on the third push/pull. You can see the battery door on the back cover, and I haven't yet opened it up to see what kind of circuit board hell is going on in there. :lol:

The boost is probably extraneous for what I will do with this guitar, but the coil taps are surprisingly fun to play with.

Having this guitar now means I'm definitely converting the Heritage into a metal machine with some high-gain pickups. I've got a vintage Duncan DDJ on the way, so it'll hopefully get into Rhoads/Sykes territory.
I love when I wake up and log into the les paul forum and see a NGD.... Oh wait this is metal guitarist what the hell is going on.. LOL Nice new guitar, I use to have a 2012 traditional Pro, good sounding guitar but the muli-layer fret board they used that year had me scared if I ever got a fret job it would not hold up so so I ended up selling it and breaking even on it.

Look forwarding to hearing this new guitar, next time I see you I will bring my little scale and we can get an accurate weight on it.

FYI Gibson has pretty much stopped chambering and people seem to love the new modern weight relief, I think half that reason is it brings the guitar down to a decent weight and now they are getting the super long tenon. But to revisit chambering, believe it or not a lot of the old school guys love it because they say it makes the guitars actually sound more like the originals. The Les Paul we know and love was the heavy logs with plenty of bottom end, but the original 59's had a nice rounded bottem end with a lot of mid.

Next thing you need to get for that baby is an aluminum tail.
Nickel Aluminum Tailpiece without studs and anchors for US Gibson® guitars Made in USA - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

And if that was my guitar I would go with some hot rodded Klusion locking tuners.
GOTOH SD90 Magnum Lock Traditional Kluson style 3 x 3 guitar tuners Nickel - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
love that finish congrats.
the frets on that look bigger than the usual nubs gibson uses, are those actually real jumbos on there?

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
love that finish congrats.
the frets on that look bigger than the usual nubs gibson uses, are those actually real jumbos on there?
No, they are about standard by current Gibson production standards, maybe just slightly taller than the frets on my 2011 SG. I wouldn't say the fretwork compares to the Custom Shop guitars, but it's good enough for me. No rough spots or buzzing.

Wirelessly posted (The Enormophone SIII)

Heh. Gibsonguitarist.org is here!
Can the 20-page threads about cigars be far behind?

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Great looking top on that one!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts