Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an Ibby RG680CM in deep black 8 months ago, not something I'd see on sale often in my neck of the woods, and I wanted a guitar with Dimarzio Utopias in it (well without buying an actual Pia), so in those came, along with a Mad Hatter Terminator Evo kit, 2 gold knobs and long lockdown delays later, and the guitar is home.

The MIJ Wizard 2 already felt at home since it's my favorite Ibanez neck, same as my main MIJ RG470. The condition of the Lo Pro is still great so that'll stay, unless I find a gold version (not bloody likely). Currently it's set up slightly more string tense than what I usually have so it puts up a bit of a fight, but I like that every now and then.

I've always liked all of Vai's signature pickups (namely the Breed and Gravity Storm), and so far the Utopias are really fun. Kinda like more focused Evos set with higher output but less of the icepick highs. Akin to a hotter Evo2 with more low mids. The in between positions are more stratty and brighter than what I'm used to in RGs, which caught me off guard, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of sounds I can try to coax with it.

Then Vai releases a black Pia, and Dimarzio makes the Utopias available in stock format. :lol: Oh well...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Makes me think of the first guitar I ever bought, a '98 RG570 in Rootbeer Metallic :wub:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
That is seriously sweet! Congrats!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts