Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, before all the ZOMG CHINEEZ CRAP talk, this $269 piece of basswood crap actually resonates better than the $250 used Jackson Warrior piece of crap, so I swapped them at the bomb-awesome Sam Ash in Cleveland.

So anyways, it plays pretty well for what it is (and what it's for, the And Downloads For None gig), except it doesn't balance well where the strap pin is. Is there a kit I can buy for moving the pin to the neck plate, or do I just need a screw that's 1/4" longer?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hell no! No CTS for me, thank you :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't measured it, but will the neck joint screws be too big around for the strap pin?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I haven't measured it, but will the neck joint screws be too big around for the strap pin?
Can't comment, but if you have the tools to drill or ream the strap pin out you might be able to ******* it.

Are you planning on keeping this guitar? Why not just drill into the body, say on the shoulder area?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'll probably keep it. Going to have it until April at least, and, just as I tried last year, I'm going to try to push these guys to do more than just one show a year.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, my XV has a strap pin on the neck plate, and it balances beautifully.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
If you can't get the neck plate idea to work, I'd dickhammer the pin in the opposite face at about this point. Basswood is soft and stringy, so I imagine (correct me luthiers if I'm wrong) that it's fairly resistant to splitting. Still, I would pre-drill the hole and I wouldn't install it too close to the pup route or the neck pocket. You may want to apply a thin coat of wood glue to the screw as well.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Grab the same screw and thread, just 1/8-1/4" longer. If you get the one that's 1/4" longer, make sure that you don't force the screw through the fretboard while tightening it.

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
I believe that is silver, sir :lol:

White is epic though. Warmoth replacement neck - DO IT!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you can't get the neck plate idea to work, I'd dickhammer the pin in the opposite face at about this point. Basswood is soft and stringy, so I imagine (correct me luthiers if I'm wrong) that it's fairly resistant to splitting. Still, I would pre-drill the hole and I wouldn't install it too close to the pup route or the neck pocket. You may want to apply a thin coat of wood glue to the screw as well.

I could do that, but I actually just backed out the plate screw, and put my strap on it, and it balanced beautifully. Now to find a longer screw*!

...that's what she said.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe that is silver, sir :lol:

White is epic though. Warmoth replacement neck - DO IT!
The picture is silver, but the guitar is white. Funny enough, I can't find a white one online.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I could do that, but I actually just backed out the plate screw, and put my strap on it, and it balanced beautifully. Now to find a longer screw*!
I say do that but add a large washer on either side of the strap and screw it in.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I say do that but add a large washer on either side of the strap and screw it in.
That was gonna be my next suggestion. And with just the thickness of a strap and a couple of washers in there, you probably don't need a longer screw. It's still likely holding by quite a bit, and it's not often easy finding a screw that's 1/8" or 1/4" longer. They don't often come in such small increments.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm... Good call, I'll try that tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts