Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a nice surprise from my wife for Christmas. This little device is powerful! I honestly think the models on it are downright terrible, but the tone capture steals the show. It was a little finicky, as you have to select an amp model and try to get it close sonically before doing the tone capture or it doesn't come out right. The Mark V, Rectifier, and JP models in the Preamp Live sound nothing like their real-life counterparts, but the Brown Sound model does, and wound up being the perfect starting point. After messing with it for the past two days, I've been able to faithfully re-create my main 3 sounds from my JP2C+ in the Mooer, sparkling clean green channel, beefy yellow channel lead, and a heavy red channel rhythm sound. The lead sound especially sounds nearly 1:1 with the JP2C, I could play it until the cows come home.

The features are beefy on this thing too, especially the MIDI In/Out, MIDI-assignable FX loop, and a fully functional Mooer Radar with IR loading assignable to XLR, standard output, or both. I could see building a fly rig with this, a delay pedal in the loop, and a Power Stage 170, running an XLR to the house for a gig. Taking a guitar and this in a backpack to a gig would be incredible, and I have to try it sometime soon.

Attachments

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Pretty amazing what these things can do. Even if not right out of the box, its pretty amazing you could get the sounds of your amps like that. I have found that if you know what you want, a bunch of great sounds can be had with lots of gear.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
The Tone Capture is definitely a great technology, too bad Mooer doesn't want to make the units with it compatible with each other. :lol: Talk about missing the boat.

The only high gain models I use without a cap in my GE300 are the BE100 and Powerball.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Tone Capture is definitely a great technology
Unbelievably so. I haven't used a tone capture device before, so I'm behind the tech a bit, but I'm impressed. I just tone captured my MT15 and it's a perfect recreation of the amp. What's funny is the tone captures are literally each a 5 KB file. Almost no information is really stored, but it's enough to sound identical to a real amplifier. The future is amazing.

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
Nice score. I got one myself just last month and although I'm not crazy about every amp in it, I have managed to fill the 12 memory slots. The one major complaint that I've heard about it is that the ir loading section doesn't have an eq like the Radar does. I had been using an MXR 10 band eq before it to 'help' it along but just today I traded it in and got a Boss EQ-200 instead. I'm not in a band, so for using it at home, it sounds pretty decent. I had thought about a GE200 or similar but I only really wanted the amps and for the price of the 'micro' pedals, the Preamp Live is the same price as about 4 of them, so may as well just get the 'big' one.

It's funny how people are tripping over themselves to reccomend the Helix Stomp, where this thing for 1/2 the price (minus the effects of course) really isn't that bad.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice score. I got one myself just last month and although I'm not crazy about every amp in it, I have managed to fill the 12 memory slots. The one major complaint that I've heard about it is that the ir loading section doesn't have an eq like the Radar does. I had been using an MXR 10 band eq before it to 'help' it along but just today I traded it in and got a Boss EQ-200 instead. I'm not in a band, so for using it at home, it sounds pretty decent. I had thought about a GE200 or similar but I only really wanted the amps and for the price of the 'micro' pedals, the Preamp Live is the same price as about 4 of them, so may as well just get the 'big' one.

It's funny how people are tripping over themselves to reccomend the Helix Stomp, where this thing for 1/2 the price (minus the effects of course) really isn't that bad.
Totally this. My first piece of pro gear back in the day was the Rocktron Chameleon and it had an insane set of EQ layers. The Mooer definitely lacks a post EQ, which would come in handy. What I've been able to do to compensate is boost a parameter in the tone stack of the model before I tone capture. Say I want a mid cut on the final preset, I set the mid-range on the tone stack higher than I normally would, tone capture and save, then reduce it after the tone capture. This definitely takes some planning and would be difficult to adjust on the fly. An extra layer of EQ would've been nice for sure, however being able to add my own IRs was a nice touch too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts