Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second purchase from my budget-gear haul, and another Yamaha. This one is a Yamaha SLG100s "Silent Guitar" and as you can see, it's more empty space than it is guitar :lol:

Can't say for sure but I *think* the first time I saw one of these was that castrated Finger Eleven song some years back, but I've always seen these and thought they looked pretty cool. The main concept (much like other "silent instruments") is something barebones and light that you can carry on back bicycling to a gig across town or fit into your overhead on a plane.

The guitar acoustically is well, silent-ish, but it's got a piezo pickup, along with some reverb settings and EQ to dial it into a convincing acoustic sound, through a regular guitar amp, PA, powered speaker, etc. The guitar itself is light as it should be, the EQ and reverb create some convincing depth, plays really well and the woods themselves are surprisingly high quality in color and figure.

Full disclosure, I'm *probably* offloading this pretty quickly. I love it but I wanted to try the shape out and see how I felt about it overall, since it popped up at an "okay" price. I actually LOVE this thing, but the newer model (SLG200s) has a few extra features I'd like. I've already got a couple guitars that do straight piezo, but the SLG200s adds a nice simulated "mic'd acoustic" fader that would be appreciated. I kinda wanted to see if the piezo on this would be enough to satisfy me and it's nice but for a few hundred more, I'd like the added sim.

Anyway, pics.:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Always liked those.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That's cool as hell. Can you record clips?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's cool as hell. Can you record clips?
As and ye' shall receive.

These are completely unprocessed (normally I'd compress the living shit out of my finger picking, especially on strings this heavy :lol:), EQ is set at 12 o' clock for both bass and treble, reverb setting is on '2' (it has three settings, "off, 1.) room and 2.) hall"):

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Don't know how well the quality would compare with the mic'd acoustic sim thing on new one, and it kind of fucks with the whole grab-and-go-ness of just having it on board, but have you looked at something like the TC bodyrez?
It'd probably be cheaper than tracking down one of the newer models

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Don't know how well the quality would compare with the mic'd acoustic sim thing on new one, and it kind of fucks with the whole grab-and-go-ness of just having it on board, but have you looked at something like the TC bodyrez?
It'd probably be cheaper than tracking down one of the newer models
A Fishman Aura pedal would probably work too, but screws with the grab and go nature of it.

Incidentally, the Yamaha Silent Cello I have is far and away the best-sounding electric cello I've played.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's not that bad. The gig bag has enough room, so a pedal and one more cable is in keeping with the spirit of this as long as they're battery powered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts